Will FCP HD to PAL pass QC in Europe?

Posted by harry323 
Will FCP HD to PAL pass QC in Europe?
October 07, 2006 03:46PM
I have to deliver NTSC and PAL versions of a 16x9 film.

I'm not so worried about the NTSC version, but does anyone know if FCP produces a PAL version that will pass QC in Europe?

Thanks,

Harry.
Re: Will FCP HD to PAL pass QC in Europe?
October 07, 2006 04:17PM
Hi Harry

Which broadcaster is showing it?

You really should call the techs at the place you're sending it and ask about standards converted deliverables.

Here are some of the major UK broadcaster links to content delivery:

BBC Guidelines

[www.bbc.co.uk]

ITV Guidelines

[www.itv.com]

Channel 4 Guidelines

[www.channel4.com]

All UK broadcasters need to adhere to Ofcom guidelines for things like PSE (Photo-sensitive Epilepsy) read more here:

[www.ofcom.org.uk]

Regards

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 07, 2006 08:55PM
Harry,

This has nothing to do with FCP. Whether you pass a QC report has more to do with how attentive you are to levels, not what the program can do. Do you have proper outboard vectorscopes? A hardware limiter? Are you doing a qc pass on your own? These are steps that most editors that are using FCP adhere to.

As they say, "Garbage in, garbage out". Take the time to check your work and you'll find that FCP will do just fine.

Mark
October 08, 2006 12:18AM
Are you talking about using FCP to convert the NTSC version to PAL? Or do you have another conversion method in mind?

October 08, 2006 09:33AM
If you mean does the frame rate conversion in FCP from 30 to 25 FPS cause up any issues that might cause a tech failure in the UK then the answer (to the best of my knowledge) is no.
October 08, 2006 10:30AM
actualy the answer is yes!

the only way to do a decent standard conversion in FCP is you use Graeme Nattress's "Standards Conversion" plugin
[www.nattress.com]
October 08, 2006 01:47PM
Thank you all for your advice and replies.

Best

Harry.
October 08, 2006 08:17PM
You could use compressor, there's a workflow here : [www.macworld.com] ,
but I hear that Graeme's gives better resutls.

Or you could get a dub house to do a master for you. This is the quickest way, and has the best fallback position if there's a problem.

*Were* you talking about using FCP to do the conversion? If not, FCP itself of course has no problem with PAL QC. Half the world works in PAL, present company included. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics