FCP 5.1.2 AND MAC MINI REVISION B

Posted by adayah 
FCP 5.1.2 AND MAC MINI REVISION B
October 11, 2006 01:02AM
I have a Mac Min revision B 1.25 ghz 40 gig hard drive with but one firewire port as they come.
My church is trying to use it with FCP 5.1.2 to capture a LIVE video feed to a firewire drive. The camera is a canon xl1s or a gl1 at times. It's firewired into the hard drive and the hard drive is firewired into the Mac Mini. We have drop frames and out of sync audio drifts over time in playback. Is this mac mini qualified to run Fcp 5.1.2? We use non controllable device to capture the live feed because firewire basic needs timecode froma tape but we're live not taped.

Thanks for any help.
Adayah
Re: FCP 5.1.2 AND MAC MINI REVISION B
October 11, 2006 03:03AM
Your underpowered for heavy lifting like that Bro. You might try doing this with a MacPro Tower or a MacBook Pro at the very least.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
October 11, 2006 06:44AM
Do you know of any sources on the net that specifically state this. I ask because the owner of the mac mini (not me) believes it can be made to work somehow. I know why he's clinging to it too cause it means our church would have to put money into a better machine. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do in my book. By sources I mean articles whether by apple or a third party. No offense but he's not believing forums right now. I am though.

SG
October 11, 2006 09:12AM
Its not supported officially but that doesn't mean it wont work. I dont think it will work but then again... I just dont think the hard drive in the mini will handle this.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 12, 2006 08:25AM
The hard drive in a Mac Mini is 5400RPM and this is not supported by FCP. It likes 7200rpm at least on a fullsize drive. And if the graphic card supported?

[www.apple.com]

If he doesn't believe the forum, then he can pay for $150/hr as a professional consultant to tell him the same thing.

-CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
October 12, 2006 10:43AM
> I ask because the owner of the mac mini (not me) believes it can be made to work somehow.

Classic newbie ignorance. Just because he doesn't have the money to get better equipment doesn't mean what he has is going to work if he wishes hard enough.

Especially if you're talking about *live* video, not capturing from tape. And especially if you're trying to chain the camera with the drive. All of the above are no-nos.

Just wait for him to keep getting unusable clips. See when he wakes up to reality.

www.derekmok.com
October 13, 2006 04:03AM
The Intel single core Minis carry SATA drives, I assumed they are7200 RPM-- aren't they? I have a client using them to play back 40 minutes of DVCPro50 output. In fact, a bank of three, going out to three flats -- for her art installation in Spain-- she's reinventing Cinerama! I have no idea if the three streams will stay in synch.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics