Speaking of keyboard layouts

Posted by camshaft 
Speaking of keyboard layouts
October 15, 2006 02:29PM
This is not a question. It is not an endorsement. More of a testimonial, I guess. I just had to put my two cents in.

I have FCP at home. At work there is Avid and PDR systems. PDR is a kind of bastard system that uses the old Grass Valley interface recording to multiple hard drives. Anyway, when I was first learning Avid, I mapped the keyboard to be as similar as possible to the GVG keyboard, which of course blew off a lot of dedicated keys, but made things easier for switching between systems. As time went on I had to remap the formerly dedicated keys to Function keys, or any key that was empty. I then carried around strips of white tape with my newly mapped keys written on that I would tape to the top of the keyboard. When I started learning FCP last year, I did the same.

So, then I was stuck with these multiple systems, strips of tape with fading chickenscratches reminding me of where everything was. It was getting pretty convoluted!!

Then I discovered NeoTron's keyguides and a lightbulb went off! Here was virtually everything I needed to know on one laminated sheet. Now, I feel that Apple maps the FC app in a way that pretty much makes sense. Avid not so much so. But, with these nice mats in plain view, I have started from scratch learning the default keyboards, and go with it, rather than fight it.

However, the JKL IO with one hand over the other is still a pretty awkward way to work. I just may have to remap....just these two commands...no, Cam, just leave it alone.

Cameron Young
Re: Speaking of keyboard layouts
October 15, 2006 02:45PM
Just to offer a different opinion...I feel that the best way to tackle multiple systems is to learn the default keys, not map your own. Advantages:

1. When you switch from one FCP station to another, you don't have to spend 10 minutes remapping the keyboard;
2. When you dump preferences, you don't have to remap everything;
3. You wouldn't make editing mistakes just because you may have missed an oft-used customized key you'd made, but isn't mapped that way on a new system;
4. If you forget some keys because you haven't used a certain application for a while, all you have to do is look it up in the manual, online, or with the Keyboard Layout features.

www.derekmok.com
October 15, 2006 02:56PM
1. Save your keyboard layout on a jump drive and carry it with you.

2. Retool from the saved keyboard layouts.

3. See above.
October 15, 2006 04:30PM
I purchased the keyboard with the FCP keys printed on them (also, color coded). The best $99 I've spent on my system.

I've still remapped a few, but for a quick look down (at the keyboard, instead of an external cheat sheet), it's priceless.
October 15, 2006 10:17PM
Just a note to let you all know the Keyboard Keyguides are for sale in the lafcpug store of only $11.00

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 16, 2006 03:09AM
And the developer remains grateful from day one for all cheerleaders.

I trained on Avid too, and that is where the value of the keys became crystal clear.

Everybody, from Larry Jordan on down promotes use of the keyboard as an important skill and a way to reduce mouse RSI. But I quickly note, I'll never forget running into an old friend on the street-- a programmer and keyboard power user -- who told me he couldn't work anymore. He lifted his hands, they sort of dangled. Too much on the keyboard! That was scary, he is not old.

*Balance* mouse and keyboard load! Create keyboard shortcuts which are fast AND easiest on your wrists. The orignal Avid keyset is pretty simple, easy to execute, only a couple layers deep. FCP goes to six layers if you include the modifier combos like Command-Shift, which for some are awkward. Use things like the KeyGuide to show you where things are spatially and remap to taste.

[However, the JKL IO with one hand over the other is still a pretty awkward way to work. I just may have to remap....just these two commands...no, Cam, just leave it alone.]

By all means, remap to please! Go for it. You know where everything is. That's the point! ;-)

Actually, JKL/IO I handle with right hand. Again, I did this in Avid so body memory was set. It helped a lot when JKL arrived on FCP, shortly after version 1 (following a fair amount of hue and cry).

For more info-- a LOT more-- on RSI...

[eeshop.unl.edu]

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Select items and Shift-D to Make Offline!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
October 16, 2006 03:30AM
For more info-- a LOT more-- on RSI...

[eeshop.unl.edu

]

Man, how can anyone who is not disjointed do figure 3?

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 16, 2006 01:24PM
<<<*Balance* mouse and keyboard load!>>>

I have to agree, using both is a good combo. The great thing about life is learning, and many times re-learning things! However, I still believe that the jkl/io thing was designed by a computer person, not an editor. Back in the day (oh, man, here we go) when Grass Valley and Calaway were the defacto editing systems, the play/ff/rew (left hand), mark in/mark out/search (right hand) were all on the bottom layer of keys so you could rest your entire arm on the desktop (or editing console surface), and wrist/arm fatique was not factor.

<<<By all means, remap to please!>>>

I agree, this IS America, isn't it??? FCP doesn't leave too many open keys, they have things pretty well jammed up (I am looking at my keyguide right now) and, frankly, most of the commands make pretty good sense where they are located. Avid leaves lots of room to tinker.

It's just putting that I/O thing somewhere else!

Don't mean to take time from people who are here looking for help, but thanks for your thoughts.

Cameron Young
October 16, 2006 02:21PM
[It's just putting that I/O thing somewhere else! ]

It's over on the numeric keypad / and * keys too, in both default Standard and Multicam layouts. That might give you the hand spread you need.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 16, 2006 02:41PM
man, if it was a snake, it would have bit me!!!!!!!

Thanks, Loren

Cameron Young
October 16, 2006 04:59PM
Fun thread.

I have been switching between Avid, FCP, AND 844X of late, and though my mind freaks out, my hands seem to know what to do. I hadn't touched an Avid in years, but there it was, recessed information, suddenly, somehow, accessible from days gone by: incredible, the long-term storage systems in the noggin!

I like to use one hand for the JKL/IO. Either one, depending on if I'm mousing too. I also like to do a combo of mousing (or trackballing) with the right while keyboarding with the left...

As far as injuries go, I find it has a lot more to do with angles of all ones' joints (always more open than 90 degrees) and wrist position, than frequency of use.

Since I changed my set up (from chair to keyboard holder) I have not had an ache or a twinge. Used to get it bad.

My 2 cents,

Marla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics