DSR-1500a deck control issue in FCP 5

Posted by filmjock 
DSR-1500a deck control issue in FCP 5
October 15, 2006 09:03PM
I'm using a dual G5 2.5 Gig, OS X 10.3.9 and FCP 5.0.1:

For some reason my DSR-1500a isn't allowing control from FCP. I'm using Firewire for video/deck control. Video is coming through, timecode comes through ok, deck is in 'remote', indicators in FCP show VTR OK...but for some reason FCP will not allow me to control the deck...What Gives? I've tried switching Firewire buses, changing Firewire protocols and restarting machine/deck. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Vincent
Re: DSR-1500a deck control issue in FCP 5
October 15, 2006 11:59PM
Which QuickTime?

You crossed the versions and Odd Things Happen when you do that.

Tiger, FCP5 and QT7 work well together, Panther, FCP4 and QT6 work well together.

Also, the deck may be fancy enough to have a user setting to allow control from RS422 *or* FireWire. Dig in the menus or consult your instruction book.

Koz
Re: DSR-1500a deck control issue in FCP 5
October 16, 2006 02:12AM
I'm betting on Koz and the deck protocol. Because you're not going into a card like Kona2, right? That might require a blackburst generator going to your deck and the Kona. Connect the Video (Super) Out to your monitor and press the deck's MENU button. Start scrolling through to whatever the deck control listing is called on that model. I think it's Deck Control.

Also, FCP has very good drivers for RS-422, licensed from Pipeline, a team of guys who hang around in Hawaii and build good drivers when the surf isn't up (and I hope they're all okay after that 6.6 yesterday). But you'd need a serial cable for that and a USB adapter, and you didn't indicate that. So like Koz says, the deck may be expecting that protocol and thus not receiving control signals and timecode sent over FireWire.

My .02.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics