mixing formats on the timeline

Posted by bill darst 
mixing formats on the timeline
October 23, 2006 02:13PM
Howdy ya'll

After having a hard drive blow up, I was left with two media formats. One was the actual FCP project and all that went with it to my friend at Universal Studios. I also sent the OMF files, (only to find out FCP isn't grown up enough to provide the Importing of OMF files). Thanks. Since the time we sent the project to US for audio mix we did some minor visual changes, and then made a DVD copy.
Not having the original project to open, there is a scene I need to cover with a clip from the DVD.
Using Cinamatize to rip the clip from the DVD I found there is no way to make it other than a 640 size image. Of course the FCP is the 720 size. Can I mix them and expect the compressor to fix it in the mix? If I render them on the time line it seems to play back just fine.
We are trying to get the dirve recovered but do we need to spend the money to do so?

Thanks
bill
Re: mixing formats on the timeline
October 23, 2006 02:19PM
> Using Cinamatize to rip the clip from the DVD I found there is no way to make it other than a
> 640 size image. Of course the FCP is the 720 size. Can I mix them and expect the
> compressor to fix it in the mix?

I'm assuming you're working in 720x480 DV.
No, you shouldn't use the 640x480 image. Use MPEG Streamclip on the DVD instead. It can produce 720x480 clips just fine, and it's free software.

www.derekmok.com
October 24, 2006 01:39AM
So now I use the Streamcllip convert the 640 to 720, but now there is a small size different. The Stream clip is a little shorter than the FCP orig. Perhaps I'm not using the right formats for Cinimatize and Stream cllip. Are there different sizes of 720? I've tried 'Force video' auto adjust, so now my head is spining as there seems to be 8 million combinations between the two progams.
Is there a site that says, if you are usining Cinamatize to convert your 640 DVD, and you want to Streamclip convert to 720 DV/DVCPRO, here area the recommended settings?

Streamclip does work nicely and thanks for the tip.

bill
October 24, 2006 01:46AM
>>FCP isn't grown up enough to provide the Importing of OMF files<<

Automatic Duck can handle OMF import in FCP. Here's info : [www.automaticduck.com]

October 24, 2006 01:47AM
> So now I use the Streamcllip convert the 640 to 720

Uh-uh, don't use the clips you've already made at 640x480. Go back to the DVD. Otherwise you're losing two generations of quality.

> but now there is a small size different. The Stream clip is a little shorter than the FCP orig.

Sounds like a frame-rate issue. What was your original sequence set to? What settings in MPEG Streamclip are you using?

You'd never made a movie file or tape copy of your final show when the project file was intact?

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics