EDL for Telecine

Posted by Gualex 
EDL for Telecine
October 30, 2006 05:00PM
Hi All:

It's my first time on this one and I guess it should be pretty easy but I can't find the solution.

I cut a job now now I need to go back to telecine for final color correction.

How to I pull an EDL so my clips are in sequential order by timecode hour and not by sequential events like you would do for On Line.

Thanks a lot,

Alex Neuman
Re: EDL for Telecine
October 30, 2006 09:04PM
This is an EDL sorting function, which has nothing to do with FCP.

You want to sort by reel, and then by timecode.

Since you obviously don't have the tools to do this, ask your post house to do the sort. They should be able to.

Mark
October 30, 2006 09:30PM
Thanks Mark:

I am the post house, the problem is that we are all Avid based, 26 of them, I am the black sheep that is switching to FCP. We can do this in the Avids without relying on other programs, I though there would be a way to do it in FCP. I have checked the manuals and it says that if you select "Source, audio merge" while in the EDL window export options it should do it, but it doesn't, it is always giving me the sequential TC that I have in my timeline.

Thanks for you help.

Alex Neuman
October 31, 2006 08:33AM
Oops! Sorry.

Well, how about importing the FCP edl into your avid and using the Avid edl manager?

Mark
October 31, 2006 08:50AM
Under file export edl change to source instead of master. Your edl will now be sorted by source timecode.
October 31, 2006 11:14AM
Thanks Mark and Peter,

I thought about that one (going thru Avid), my problem is that they will all laugh at me!!!! I mean the other editors. We have an Avid vs FCP (go figure) thing in the office, so I want to keep everything in FCP. I tried Peter's option, as the manual says, but it did not work, as you can see in my previous email, not only that, the shots that were in reverse and with speed changes came out wrong as well.

I went old school (really old) and used the TC reader effect and reorder all the shots in my timeline and the did a "regular" EDL, It worked for now but it took too long.

I need to work on the media manager, I am not familiar with it, maybe if I copy me sequence trhu the media manager I will get a new project with all the clips in that sequence put them all in a bin and sort with Media Start and print that page. Kind of a decompse in Avid). It looks like a lot of work for a simple EDL but it should do the trick.

I would like to see this function work from within the EDL export window.

Thanks so much for the help. I am off to my first virtual telecine with CO3.

Cheers, have a great Halloween.

Alex Neuman
October 31, 2006 11:17AM
What edl format did you use? This works for me all the time.

Peter
October 31, 2006 01:03PM
CMX 3600

I tried it twice. Am I missing some other setting?

Thanks Peter.

Alex
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics