web compression - specific question: what's "Encoded H2640"

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
web compression - specific question: what's "Encoded H2640"
November 08, 2006 07:59PM
Hi there compadres,

I just got a nice little gig, but am inexperienced with compression for web purposes. I am comfortable using Compressor for making DVD's but this is a different ball o' wax...

I need to determine 1) what software to use (Cleaner? AE? Compressor?), 2) if this is even something I can learn quickly and 3) if not, I need to find someone to compress my final files.

Here are the specs that the producer emailed me:

-Mini DV footage
-Project is to cut 3 segments, 2 - 5 minutes each that will be used as a video newsletter on the website.

-The final format needed is:
Quick Time
Web Streaming
Encoded H2640
Audio: AAC Stereo 32 Khz
Size: 448 pixels wide and 334 pixels tall

Any experience or thoughts to share?

Thanks!

Marla-in-soggy-but-very-democratic-New-York!!!
Re: web compression - specific question: what's "Encoded H2640"
November 08, 2006 08:09PM
The producer probably messed up. H.264 is a popular codec these days for compression. That's probably what s/he meant. If you have QuickTime 7, you have this codec, so just use Export - Using QuickTime Conversion from your timeline.

www.derekmok.com
November 08, 2006 08:10PM
Use compressor

BTW its H.264

Fast Start - compressed header

Ask for the data rate they want the files at... in Kbps (Kilobits per second) or Mbps (Megabits per second)

Thats all you need then - you can make a setting in compressor and batch the lot.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 08, 2006 08:28PM
the only drag is that if pc users dont have the recent qt player their machine will either ignore or simply try to download the movie...
November 09, 2006 12:37AM
Not just PC users. Anybody who doesn't have QuickTime 7. I still can't play H.264 movie files on my home system. Yet.

But if the producer specifically requested it, it's not likely to be an issue.

www.derekmok.com
November 09, 2006 08:12AM
Hi! Wow, thanks, I thought this was going to be way more complex.

So which is better, QT-export or compressor? I don't care about the convenience (batching) so much as the quality: would there be any quality difference?

And, sorry for the ignorance, I have only used QT for self-contained movies, and only used compressor for basic high-quality encoding, so the next question is: would I be able to select the pixel size (448 pixels wide and 334 pixels tall ) and the Khz (AAC Stereo 32Khz) in either
QT 7 or in Compressor?

Thanks again,

Marla
November 09, 2006 12:58PM
QT is really straightforward and easy to use when compared to compressor. I haven?t seen any quality differences with these two.

Open your clip in QT. Choose export, select options and you can adjust all necessary parameters
November 10, 2006 12:50AM
Using compressor you can set an in and out point say 20 seconds long make different settings and batch compress those and see which settings look best and see what the file sizes come out as then you can use those settings for the final movie compression or create multiple movies for different users. You can set different in and out points to see what different parts of the movie compress like.
November 12, 2006 07:55AM
I'll run some tests today once my client takes a break-sounds like Compressor gives more options/control, and QT is the simplest... Hope to be compressing the final late tonight.

Still in the dark about where to choose the pixel size in Compressor, but I suppose it'll be findable once I'm mucking around in there,

Thanks,

Marla
November 12, 2006 11:17AM
I use QT for final touches, compressor for the major work. QT gives you the last look at what the movie will look like in QT player where it's going to be played, so I'd say use QT as the final phase of tinkering with your movie clip. You can do anything in compressor, not just size. Click on every item in Inspector and try them out.
November 12, 2006 07:28PM
The final format needed is:
Quick Time
Web Streaming
Encoded H2640
Audio: AAC Stereo 32 Khz
Size: 448 pixels wide and 334 pixels tall

Hey Marla, here's a quick guide on how to do this out of FCP.

File > Export > Using Quicktime Conversion
Choose Format : Quicktime movie and then click on Options
Make sure Video is ticked and click on Settings
Set the compression type to H.264. The defualts in here are probably OK for now. Press OK.
Click on Size, choose Custom from the drop down menu, then type your numbers into the now empty boxes. Press OK.
Make sure sound is ticked and click on Settings. Choose AAC and type in 32.000. Press OK.
Make sure Prepare for Internet Streaming is ticked and select Fast Start. Press OK.

Then press Save.

November 12, 2006 07:51PM
Hey Marla

Settings in compressor to change Frame Size...

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 13, 2006 06:25AM
Thanks so much to both of you - you rock! I am bleary eyed and haven't got to compressing yet, so every little idiot-proof tip is very warmly welcomed!

Best,

Marla
Final Report on Re: web compression - specific question: what's "Encoded H2640"
November 15, 2006 09:31AM
Just a follow up:

On the last night it turned out Compressor was crashing me out of FCP, and I had to use quicktime.

I ended up experimenting with the encoding-quality slider, and somewhere between"low and medium" was able to get my files down to a small enough size with practically no artifacting. Used "automatic" for bit rate, as "300/optimized for web streaming" looked frightful. Did a 2-pass, which must have mitigated the lower qual of the compression.

It really looked decent, I was quite surprised. 5 of the 6 videos were artifact-free, and the longest one had a couple of imperfect dissolves, but the imperfection was minor and after many tries I just sent them the best 3.

Just had to keep mucking around with it using good the ole' trial and error method. It was so annoying that at the final moment I was unable to use Compressor, I would have preferred to know the details, QT seems so vague, but the web-techs were very pleased with the files the next day, so the job is done.

Compression is a deep area of knowledge, my respect for it grows with each job! And I am going to make sure that the producers I work with schedule extra time for getting it right from now on. Makes outputting to tape seem deliriously simple!

Thanks, have fun at the LA expo if you're going (I went to the NY one)

Marla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics