FCP crashes when "Caps Lock" is on

Posted by chrisrash 
FCP crashes when "Caps Lock" is on
November 16, 2006 12:10PM
Has anyone with the new Intel-based Macs had a problem with 5.1.2 crashing if you depress the Caps Lock button? It doesn't always happen, but every once in a while, when I'm doing nothing else in FCP, I'll accidentally hit Caps Lock and FCP will just quit. I don't even get that error message "FCP has unexpectedly quit" and then gives you the option to relaunch or send a report to Apple.

Anyone else encounter this?
Re: FCP crashes when "Caps Lock" is on
November 16, 2006 04:03PM
being the not genius that i am in fcp. a lot of things change when the caps lock is on. i have no idea what it really does i just know that the viewer goes on lock when the caps lock is on. i would use the shift to make caps.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 17, 2006 11:53AM
The Caps Lock key drove me nuts so I turned it off.

"---Mac OS X users have it much easier. Open System Preferences and click on the Keyboard & Mouse icon. Under the Keyboard tab, click on the Modifier Keys button. In the dropdown list next to Caps Lock, choose No Action or set the key to one of the other options.---"

Koz
November 17, 2006 12:03PM
i see a lot of peps have problems with that blasted caps lock. it should be the first thing they mention just after interface instructions or even during interface instructions.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 17, 2006 12:04PM
Those are both good suggestions for how to avoid the problem. Thanks guys.

My issue has more to do with it crashing when the Caps Lock is depressed than anything else.

It would be interesting to know why that happens. I just ran into an old friend of mine from college, who now works for Apple's security development team. Maybe he'll know the answer.
November 18, 2006 10:11AM
<<<My issue has more to do with it crashing when the Caps Lock is depressed than anything else. >>>

It's possible you have a broken keyboard. A key that's sending bogus data to the system. Can you find anybody else with a Mac keyboard and temporarily swap? You don't necessarily need a Mac keyboard, either.

Koz
November 18, 2006 12:54PM
The caps lock key will disable rendering and uh, the 2-up display and thats about it. It shouldnt crash your system. Might be a bug if others with 5.1.2 will test this.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 18, 2006 08:27PM
I tested this here on a G4 laptop and it doesn't seem to be a 5.1.2 problem. Using the caps lock key just disables rendering and the two-u as per normal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics