which hard drive is best OS X

Posted by J.Corbett 
which hard drive is best OS X
November 21, 2006 01:31PM
i need larger storage units (350-500gig unit). i had been in the habit of buying 250gig drives filling all but 20gigs up then disconnecting the drive when i was done. i would then label and store. not that i have 14 250gig units stored and i would anticipate that it will begin to get pretty cluttered if i continue my habit.

so i ask the good home town folks of LAFCPUP which of these harddrives are best.

gtech - g-drive q 500g
western digital - my book pro edition2 640g
seagate - firewire/usb-2 drive 750g

BTW what does rpms do for a drive i saw one that said 10,000rpms

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: which hard drive is best OS X
November 21, 2006 01:41PM
Tis the age of Raids. Why go single? G-Tech, CalDigit, ProMax, all good.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 21, 2006 02:00PM
I highly recommend the G-RAID from G-Tech. I use a few of them, and they've been great for DV, DVC PRO HD and 10-bit.
November 21, 2006 02:36PM
I have 3 G-Raids...love them all.

But if you can, go SATA Raid. That is the wave of the future. Although not quite as portable..

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 21, 2006 02:49PM
i just bought the svr-duo from caldigit a few weeks ago and that puppy SCREAMS!!! 500gig with pci esata card for $520 with 2 seagate swapable drive modules.

im throwing dvcproHD footage at it all day, it just laughs and asks for more. REMARKABLE for the price - and their customer service is great!
November 21, 2006 02:55PM
Yeah, Caldigit is great and I believe their esata card is the only one working with a Mac Pro right now. Sonnet is still in Beta last I heard. They are a good company. Really hungry and I always like that.

Yes, they are a lafcpug sponsor but I don't have to say anything.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 21, 2006 03:01PM
caldigit vs gtech seems to be the consensus

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
November 21, 2006 03:03PM
from what ive seen on a performance/value for dollar ratio, its caldigit all the way. especially considering that your comparing esata to fw800
November 21, 2006 03:06PM
oops

is there any extra hardware to get for these systems. also i have all smartdisk in a daisy chain of 4. 2 of them i need to stay attached and on of them curently holding 214gigs of data needs to be transfered to new. do they work well with other brands in a daisy chain.

""""
November 21, 2006 03:11PM
hold on esata is a connection??
so i guess i do need additional hardware.

i use fw800 now. i am guessing that esata is faster or cleaner than fw8.

i am still unclear on rpms.

""""
November 21, 2006 03:12PM
Although SATA is the way to go and seems to be the wave of the now and future, FW is just fine if your needs are Uncompressed SD, DV, HDV, and DVCPro HD. CalDigit has this very cool FW Raid 1 solution where you can swap out a dead drive and the new will rebuild in the background.

[www.caldigit.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 21, 2006 03:17PM
Screw RPMs smiling smiley 7200 is fast enough for those platters to spin.

You need a controller card if going Sata but for what you do FW 800 is fine. Might be a good idea to get another FW card and those are cheap.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 21, 2006 03:19PM
yeah, estata is a card, requires one pci slot. (the card comes bundled with the caldigit package)

fw800 is totally fine. i worked with fw400 and fw800 almost exclusively since 1999 with mostly ZERO problems. but esata is definitely FASTER - not really any such thing as "cleaner" in drive speak...

rpms are VERY important as well, 7200 is the professional media norm. the 5000's are too slow and ive heard a lot of overheating issues with 10,000
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics