capturing Sony Z1 HDV footage

Posted by Dom Stevenson 
capturing Sony Z1 HDV footage
November 26, 2006 06:23AM
A friend wants me to edit a Documentary shot on a Sony Z1. I can rent a HDV deck for £50 per day and he has five one hour tapes. Ideally i'd rent the deck for a few days but cannot justify the cost as its currently unpaid work. If i cpature the whole lot in a day How much disk space will it take up, and will i be able to delete the excess footage once i've put a rough edit on the timeline?
Ps. If there's aqnyone with this equipment in the London area that would allow me to come by for a few hours and capture the rushes to my external HD for a similar price, that would be even better.
regards
Dom
Re: capturing Sony Z1 HDV footage
November 26, 2006 06:47AM
It'll take about 70G of space.
November 26, 2006 09:22AM
HDV, 720p ? - i would have said you'd be looking more like 40/45GB

yes - you could do a rough edit then consolidate it - just give yourself some decent sized handles.
November 26, 2006 11:24AM
The Z1 doesn't shoot 720p. As for storage requirements with the Z1, Tom is right ? 1080i HDV takes up about the same amount of space as DV, so five hours will require at least 60 hours. (720p HDV, like in the JVC, records at a slightly smaller bitrate... which is probably why Josh suggested less space is needed.)
November 26, 2006 11:36AM
Get a Z1 to capture from, why rent? Do "capture now" so you don't wear out the heads, then break everything down into shots.
November 26, 2006 01:35PM
capture now wont have any less effect on the heads than doing a proper log and capture.
November 26, 2006 06:34PM
really, wayne? but the g5 whips the tape back and forth many times when you do log and capture, especially with a 1 hour tape and a hundred shots ... I've done it, it doesn't sound good.
November 26, 2006 08:31PM
> but the g5 whips the tape back and forth many times when you do log and capture,
> especially with a 1 hour tape and a hundred shots

That has nothing to do with Capture Now or Batch Capture. That's because you have an In point which doesn't exist on the tape.

www.derekmok.com
November 26, 2006 08:43PM
i can think of almost NO REASON not to do a proper log and capture (even when using a camera as a deck). the difference in wear on the transports (or heads) is minimal between the two. all capture now does is make it nearly impossible to come back and capture specific media if something goes haywire.

pretty much the only reasons i can ever see to do a capture now are: 1. you have a source device that is timecode challenged. 2. if you have a tape where youre only using one or two short clips, and even then its arguable

perceived shortcuts are almost never shortcuts in the long run...
November 27, 2006 10:54AM
No, no. When you go through a tape hitting in and out points and logging every shot, you're accumulating a lot of starts and stops that the computer must make the camera perform. When you reach the end of the tape, then the computer gives the camera the command to rewind and pick up the in point of the last shot and capture it. When it reaches the end of that take, then it goes back to the previous shot and does the same. It's a lot of back and forth. ... With capture now, you go through all the tape once and it's over, done with, finished :-)

The timecode you capture with capture now is going to be the same timecode should you have to re-capture -- as I had to do because I was totally new to FCP several months ago and I ended up capturing everything at 23.98 fps, thinking my movie was in 35mm and was telecined at 24 frames per second. Then I had to recapture everything again at 29.97 fps. I had to substitute all the shots one by one, but in the end the timecodes were identical.
November 27, 2006 02:43PM
An old wive's tale about camera "wear and tear". I've used a cheap camcorder for years and it's never needed servicing after hundreds of tapes of proper log and capture. FCP functions much better with short and discrete clips. If I do capture a whole tape, and some situations may call for it, I use the Media Manager to break up my subclips into discrete clips and media files.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 27, 2006 02:51PM
An old wive's tale about camera "wear and tear". I've used a cheap camcorder for years and it's never needed servicing after hundreds of tapes of proper log and capture.

You've just cursed yourself Kev. Tomorrow the camcorder breaks.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 27, 2006 04:18PM
LOL Right on, Mike!
November 27, 2006 11:07PM
Right, it'll break when I have it hooked up to the PC and running Avid Free DV.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics