Mac help ain't helpin: how do I network my old comp w/ new one to move my stuff?

Posted by Chris Maher 
Mac help ain't helpin: how do I network my old comp w/ new one to move my stuff?
November 27, 2006 10:51PM
you might want to ignore my questions below and simply tell me what to do! i

----------------

do I need to hook them up together?

can this be done leaving myself online (connected to internet via ethernet)?

it almost appears that I should be able to remote access files via internet but . . . am not really getting now to make it happen... my "network" address is seen as nonexistent when I plug it into other computer's browser.

I'm supposing since I have a huge amount of stuff to move (also am moving 2nd drives contents to new 2nd drive) I should be hooking the computers up directly by, say firewire?

if I use ethernet to connect the 2 computers obviously I can't be online at the same time?

but am at a loss as to how to use apple talk... it used to be simple I think, but I'm not sure I ever actually did it before. . .
Re: Mac help ain't helpin: how do I network my old comp w/ new one to move my stuff?
November 28, 2006 01:41AM
Dude.

Connect your computers via Firewire cable. Restart the computer you are transferring FROM while holding down the T key. When you see the firewire symbol on the screen you are in Target disk mode (release the T). That computer will appear as an external drive on the other machine. Copy away.
Re: Mac help ain't helpin: how do I network my old comp w/ new one to move my stuff?
November 28, 2006 03:45AM
thanks, wonder why mac help couldn't tell me this!

I will give it a try as soon as I hunt down the wire!
November 28, 2006 08:13AM
I've also done this successfully by simply restarting without the T key. The two Macs seemed to sort things out on their own.

bob rice
frameworx media
November 28, 2006 01:59PM
Under Applications / Utilities folder there is a small tool called Migartion Assitant.
It may be usefull to you.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
November 28, 2006 02:57PM
sounds like a good idea to use this, as I can imagine what will happen if I simply drag too much stuff to be copied at once.... (right? usually there is a problem with even from one drive to another!)
November 29, 2006 05:20AM
hey thanks I managed to get everything off of the main hard drive onto the new one with this migration assistant.

now I am having another problem though. with the 2 computers linked by firewire with file sharing turned on on both of them, I have this problem:

"Drive 2" - the external drive plugged into the old computer, is showing up in the new computer finder only! this isn't a big deal since I will be plugging the drive into this computer once everything is moved, but. . .

"Drive 1" the 2nd drive I had installed in the old computer, is only showing up on the desktop of the old computer... why doesn't it show up in the new computer's finder? it's a 111 gig drive and in the new computer I have had a 400 gig 2nd drive installed and want to move everything there...

Also, when I clicked on the little icon that looks like a button to hit to open the dvd drive next to the icon for the main drive for the old computer, it disappeared and I can't get it back. Maybe wherever it is is where "Drive 1" is as well?

help!!?!?
November 29, 2006 06:18AM
That could be permissions and ownership problems.

Tear everything down. Take off the cables, etc. Start each machine cold on the install CD and run Utilities, Disk Utilities, Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.

Koz
November 29, 2006 06:46AM
Koz's suggestion is a good one, but might be more drastic than you need. Before putting yourself through that, try simply disconnecting everything, shutting everything down, restarting, then reconnecting. That might be enough to wake up the system.

If not, then do the surgery.

bob rice
frameworx media
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics