FCP and MacBook

Posted by Mack Truck 
FCP and MacBook
November 28, 2006 12:47PM
Anybody tried running FCP 5 on a MacBook (not Pro) ? I am thinking about getting one of those laptops but since I already have a G5 I don't need a lot of power... Just enough to do some FCP on location.
Re: FCP and MacBook
November 28, 2006 01:00PM
It is not officially supported due to it's "low end" graphics card. Here is the technical reason:

"The integrated graphics processor in the MacBook does not permit float processing in Motion and will result in degraded performance and other issues in Motion and other Final Cut Studio applications."

I sitll dont see any reason why you cant run FCP on it though. You may and probably will run into trouble with FX plugins if using 5.1.2

FCP 5.0.4 should be just fine.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 28, 2006 01:03PM
Don't cheap out. Get the MBP: you want flexibility on location. You'll be happy you did.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 29, 2006 11:11AM
I've heard that one trick when working with a lesser computer is to capture in 240x320, do the edit+effects in this codec, requiring less time and power. Later you can recapture in 720x480 when happy with the project. I don't have details, I haven't tried it yet, perhaps someone else on this site has.

I don't know, Mack Truck, how ambitious you are about graphics and effects, this seems to be the issue that Mike H and Kevin M bring up. I'd like to know about your results with the macbook if you try it .
November 29, 2006 11:24AM
The big problem with the macbook is the graphics card and lack of a slot to hook up sata drives. If you are doing DV or HDV then the Macbook is fine. No need to make it an offline machine. But once you start getting into some other types of media you are either stuck and you can't do it, or your Mac begins to choke. Honestly, the Macbook is fine for DV and that's about it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 29, 2006 01:52PM
I've cut DV on my MacBook (non-Pro) without issue. For what it is used for, it is the perfect solution at a $1000 savings.

There is speculation that if there is a new Final Cut Pro version (5.5 or 6.0) that the MacBook may no longer run it. Search the forum for more details.
November 29, 2006 02:12PM
Offically it is not supported now. FCP will run fine although I suspect the FX Plugins will choke it, but Motion will have a real tough time.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 01, 2006 06:30PM
Mike Watson,

How hard have you pushed your macBook? How big a project? Have you done any graphics and effects on it?

I think I heard that the dual core processors in the higher cost computers are important. (apparently not vital)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics