Chairs

Posted by jcskeeter 
Chairs
November 30, 2006 12:20AM
I think this is the best place for this question, maybe not. I'll just see what happens.

Anyway, I will be starting a new job as an editor in a month. As of now I am chairless in my office. My question is: What would be the best chair (brand, type) for an editor. Obviously we sit a lot so its gotta be pretty comfortable. Well if anyone can point me in a direction of a website or anytihng that would be great. The only downside is that were not talking a lot of money here because either they're only going to put up so much money or I'll be buying it out of pocket. So something with some quality in but probably not something from germany that is custom formed exactly to you. That's a little out of range. Thanks for any information.
Re: Chairs
November 30, 2006 04:02AM
i gotta tell ya, they may be kind of cliche' (and often kinda "spendy" as shane might say) but the new model herman miller aerons are absolutely amazing!!! and for folks like us who spend most of our days, asses firmly planted in chair - WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

various online dealers have them from $500 to $900

or you could go all walter murch and edit standing. im going to give this a shot with a drafting table one day...
November 30, 2006 04:38AM
Is the word "spendy" only something I say? Is it a colloquialism of mine?

Yeah...I'd like the Herman Miller chairs...but there is no way I can afford one. Not after buying the two DELL monitors....and HD monitor...and...well...everything. I am cheating myself by sitting on a STAPLES chair.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 30, 2006 01:25PM
You'll have to pry my Herman Miller out of my cold dead fingers.

Koz
November 30, 2006 01:34PM
miller actually has a wide line of chairs that are nearly as good (and cheaper) as the aeron. the ambi, mirra and ergon are all awesome choices.

you might also look at the haworth brand.

also, do a search of your area for various used furniture dealers. you can pick up good, name brand stuff there for usually no more than about .65 on the dollar
November 30, 2006 02:27PM
My previous facility bought me an Aeron chair when I presented HR with my MRI report (2 Dessicated Discs between L4 - L5 / L5 - S1). No comparison to any other chair - worth every penny of the $929. Since nobody posted the all-important link:

[www.sit4less.com]

You can find them much cheaper - there are brand new ones on eBay right now for $550:

[cgi.ebay.com]

NOTE: The other look-a-like chairs ARE NOT Aeron chairs. They are not as effective nor as comfortable in my opinion. My lower back condition forced me to do massive research & I sat in a lot of chairs. The Aeron is the ultimate.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 30, 2006 04:05PM
joeys right on! there are a lot of copycat aerons out there and none even come close. even millers other chairs are different animals. still quite good, but a whole other world as far as adjustability goes...

the only drawback with the aeron is the pellicle fabric doesnt store heat and can be a bit chilly in the winters.

as a side note. here is something of interest:

[www.microsphere.com]

i used to have one of these. comfort wise, it was hard to beat. but after about 6 months i really got to where i missed DESK SPACE! but it sure was a conversation piece!
November 30, 2006 04:34PM
<<<the pellicle fabric doesnt store heat>>>

No, it doesn't. That makes sure that your butt and back are the same temperature as the rest of you. No peeling yourself out of the seat, getting two other people to rock you back and forth to break the vacuum, or wiping up a puddle of sweat after a long session.

If you need gushy, so find yourself an ergonomic mamasan.

You know....that and a BlueTooth keyboard wouldn't be too bad--except for the urge to assume the foetal position and fall asleep.

Koz
November 30, 2006 06:30PM

the only drawback with the aeron is the pellicle fabric doesnt store heat and can be a bit chilly in the winters.

Sorry wayne, but yikes, that is so NOT a drawback. If you need heat...turn up the thermostadt. Koz nailed that one on the nose grinning smiley ... No tearing your flesh like on a leather chair when you work in shorts (yeah...I work in shorts at home tongue sticking out smiley ) or sitting in a puddle of sweat. The Aeron allows you to work longer & more comfortably. It breathes & moves with you. It actually leans FORWARD as well as reclines. The only drawback to the Aeron is the price...period. It is a chair sent from heaven for those with back issues.

My 4 cents

- Joey

November 30, 2006 09:25PM
jeez man, i was really just making a joke. i should of followed with "the only problem with the pellicle fabric is thats its not optimal for the concealing of random flatulence"

whoohoo!
December 01, 2006 11:31AM
I'm an editor, and a hardwood floor installer. I have a Herman Miller chair for, yep you guessed it, hardwood floors. I use it where I used to bend over. Now I've had no back problems since, ecxept when I do editing in my Staples chair!
December 02, 2006 01:01AM
Hey! Until I can afford my Aeron, Staples is just fine! My work at WGBH was all Aeron, all the time. I miss that.

[the only drawback with the aeron is the pellicle fabric doesnt store heat and can be a bit chilly in the winters. ]

I've discovered even in my comfy Staples vague-alike it is best to move indoors for winter editing.

Yahhhh ;-)

- Loren
Today's FCP 4.5 / 5 keytip:
Toggle Audio Scrub with Shift-S !

The amazing FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 02, 2006 01:52PM
I wish I could afford a really sweet chair, but for now, it's a Staples "Special" with what I consider a crucial upgrade: an ergonomic cushion for the bootie.

Ya see, for the past 1 1/2 years I have had this nagging tailbone injury that gets exacerbated by sitting for even a few minutes. It's maddening.

I had a different cushion for awhile, but recently switched. I am SO glad I did. Now, I use the "Tush Cush" which is angled and (like the other cushion) has a "hole" where your tailbone lies. The difference between the two is that "Tush Cush" is much stiffer and won't squash down easily. I recommend this cushion, even if you are not injured. The pressure relief on your tailbone prevents fatigue, for sure.

I must say, after a year of this injury- this cushion has finally allowed me to work pain free and hopefully will finally heal this injury. I guess you could say that, yes, the "Tush Cush" has literally saved my ass. ;-D

I'm now looking into a motorized table so I can work standing up more often. Anyone know of a good one? The one I want is $2500. Yikes.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
December 02, 2006 01:57PM
I'm lovin' this thread. It tackles an aspect of the gig that we don't touch on very often.

I just have a $50 Staples chair at my home station. My booty is a big one, and chairs tend to break fast, so cheap is the approach for me.

www.derekmok.com
December 02, 2006 05:32PM
"Cheap" is not a consideration for myself with my back condition. If I rock my hips at just the right angle (like crappy Staples / Office Max chairs tend to come loose & do), I see stars...feels like a lightning bolt shooting through my sacrum (tailbone).

My workstation (actually all 9 workstations) at my facility sits up high and we all have ergonomic tall chairs with high backs, lumbar supports, adjustable arm rests & adjustable foot rings (like bar stools). I can only sit in it for 15 minutes at a time...I end up pushing it aside and standing while I work on and off all day (ala Walter Murch). It does get the blood pumping, but I really miss my Aeron. There's nothing like it.

- Joey

December 03, 2006 05:23PM
thats funny kevin, my mom bought me that exact cushion and said it made all the difference in her office chair. i saw it and laughed, but tried it to be nice and was really surprised - it was great!

aside the fact that my chair looks like an old ladys chair now - oh well...
December 10, 2006 06:36AM
Still reading this thread ?
some suggestions !

[www.nethrone.com]

and my favorite

[www.mypce.com]

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
December 10, 2006 08:37PM
Francois,

They look like Hi-Tech Dentist or torture chairs. Where the hell does my coffee go? Very funny, man...made me laugh grinning smiley

- Joey

December 10, 2006 09:37PM
And it looks like they can build a toilet seat right into that thing. Then the producers would love it -- an editor that doesn't need to move to go to the crapper. Anybody seen Modern Times?

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics