General sound effects

Posted by J.Corbett 
General sound effects
December 01, 2006 02:16PM
i am working on several projects in fcp and i had a general question on sfx. i figure since all of us use several different means to generate sfx there may be several ways of answering this.

i have protools / reason / sampletank / soundtrack / live on my cpu.

Q1.

when i see those tittle graphics on say fox news where the tittle graphic slides in then a light streaks across it, what is the category of sounds they are using to enhance the actions on screen?
i.e.
a. logo comes in from the left to the center over 45 frames when it does i hear a ssswhosh sound
b. the streak of light that goes across the logo i hear a sshing sound

i understand how to ad filters and such on a novice level in sound track and i am really comfy with portools. i have been doing searches to find these sounds and have cam up with nuthin.
i have browsed sfx in sound track and i have not found these types of sounds. although i am sure i have not heard all of sound track's sounds.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: General sound effects
December 01, 2006 04:15PM
> when i see those tittle graphics on say fox news where the title graphic slides in then a light
> streaks across it, what is the category of sounds they are using to enhance the actions on
> screen?

This can be under a variety of terms: Stinger, whoosh, hit, noise, clang. The sky's the limit -- you can use anything from the sound of a metal door slamming to a Noh flute for this kind of thing.

> i understand how to ad filters and such on a novice level in sound track and i am really comfy
> with portools. i have been doing searches to find these sounds and have cam up with
> nothing.

Buy a sound library like Digital Juice's. That one has a decent number of such sounds and isn't as expensive as most sound libraries. Iit is small, but has enough sounds to get you by for editing purposes.

Soundtrack does have such effects -- you need to listen carefully to the "FX" category. Either that, or you may not have installed all the loops available. Before I bought my own sound library, I did use some which came with Soundtrack.

www.derekmok.com
December 01, 2006 06:18PM
[sounddogs.com]

Type in your search words & click the mp3 button to hear examples grinning smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 02, 2006 12:57AM
[what is the category of sounds they are using to enhance the actions on screen? ]

sizzle
whoosh
bling
fart

(A lot of them ae named after their sound.)

- Loren
Today's FCP 4.5 / 5 keytip:
Toggle Audio Scrub with Shift-S !

The amazing FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 02, 2006 11:01AM
Mok
This can be under a variety of terms: Stinger, whoosh, hit, noise, clang. The sky's the limit -- you can use anything from the sound of a metal door slamming to a Noh flute for this kind of thing.
i have found a few things under whoosh and hit that are very usefull. sound track is kinda limitted on these sounds but i can probly put the ones i found in PT and engineer them to be closer to what i need.

maybe a sound library is needed?

by the way there are a few of these sounds out there for free if ya want to go on the search for them.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 02, 2006 11:27AM
And there's always that classic: Backwards sound. Try a cymbal or gong hit and reverse it. Any sound with sustain/decay put backwards will result in a swelling effect, eg. a guitar chord.

www.derekmok.com
December 04, 2006 09:08PM
And not once did anybody suggest taking a mic out and shoot your own. Somebody break your arms and legs?

Koz
December 04, 2006 09:40PM
How about taking a mic out and shooting your own sound FX? Somebody break your arms and legs?

OOoops...someone suggested that already - sorry tongue sticking out smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics