good cheap downloadable music?

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
good cheap downloadable music?
December 04, 2006 09:06PM
Hi Y'all,

Any recommendations for good rights-free, or rights-cheap, music? I just need a few pieces for corporate use, but not much time or moolah...

Thanks,

Marla
Re: good cheap downloadable music?
December 04, 2006 09:17PM
You might try - [www.audiolicence.net]

They used to have special deals where you paid once and could use as many and as much of any tracks from their library in your edit. Contact them about this.

If you did different cuts however you paid again, but much cheaper than MCPS is in the UK.

They have some good tracks too.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 04, 2006 09:24PM
ive been using these guys lately:

[www.5alarmmusic.com]

extremely affordable license fees, great customer service and one of the higher quality libraries ive found.

this is also a great one:

[firstcom.com]
December 04, 2006 09:38PM
another AWESOME source is the digitaljuice stacktraxx. now im not a HUGE fan of their video products, just because all the ham-handed hacks out there have used them into the ground and you can see them coming a mile away... HOWEVER, their stacktraxx are super useful and customizable.

the various 18 volumes (each containing 10 to 40 songs) list at $249 and to me, if you use even a single song that more than justifies the full price of the volume.

BUT, digital juice is always doing deals and offers. one of my favorites is one where you can mix and match any 10 volumes of their various products for only $250. so that basicaly comes down to a 10 for 1 deal. they do that one once or twice a quarter - and id bet my life they will run it again before the end of the year. through their various deals ive been able to get 17 or their 18 stacktraxx volumes for under $500.

the cool thing about thier stacktraxx is that each song is broken down into instruments. and say you really like a song, but the synth line is totally cheesey, you can just mute it on the export.

you'll be surprised how many individual bits of their various songs that you can end up using for other uses. for example, on their christmas disc there is a piece where they "techno-fy" the first noel. well, the song in itself has kind of a narrow window of use, but the drum track is really cool. so you can just export that and you have a whole other piece of music to use all year.
December 04, 2006 09:39PM
another cheap source is:

[www.twistedtracks.com]

takes some digging but once you find something you like, it's quite affordable...
December 04, 2006 11:40PM
Sonicfire is great for the kind of movie you're talking about and I think the basic set is still about $200. It's royalty free music. Very fast to make it work in corporate movies.
December 05, 2006 12:58AM
i found the sonicfire library way too cheesey to justify buying it. but then again, it's like i say about digtaljuice - at the price if you even use one song, it pays for itself immediately. so go for it!
December 05, 2006 07:27AM
If you need your music fast (download) and don?t feel like buying full CD archives when all you need is a track or two I can recommend www.shockwave-sound.com

Their way of doing business is superb when compared to most of the companies with royalty free music.

Here?s why:

You can download a full-length comp (at reduced quality) to make sure the track suits your needs. They also have multiple lengths and additional mixes available for most tracks.

Their site is user friendly and well categorized. You?ll find what you need fast without listening through thousands of tracks.

Their material is good; it?s clearly less cheesy than most vendors have. They have nice collections of hip-hop, modern ambient, urban etc. to suit various needs.

You can pay with PayPal, CC and so on. I?ve used them several times without any problems.
December 05, 2006 10:21AM
A few others are royaltyfreemusic.com, royalty-free.tv, musicbakery.com, freeplay.com, uniquetracks.com.

bob rice
frameworx media
December 05, 2006 03:50PM
Thank You ALL, SO much!

I definitely don't have time on this job to buy CD's, just going to go with the downloadable options, but I'll check out those libraries in the future, sounds good to have,

Cheerio,

Marla
December 05, 2006 06:54PM
I'm going to FAQ this info just because it would be good to get it all collated somewhere. If anyone else has suggestions for places to get good cheap music, please add to this thread and I'll add them to the FAQ.

I'll add www.extrememusic.com - not least for their great website design, and [www.soundrangers.com] who have a free sound of the week,
[www.iamusic.com] - haven't used them myself, just picked them up as a bookmark somewhere and
[sounddogs.com] who also do SFX.

Also, if you're doing a lot of regular production work, you can .. oh, maybe this is just in Australia, but surely not... you can get the production libraries to send you stacks of cds for free. You have to pay for whatever you use, but getting the actual library of music is free. Try ringing Sony and EMI for production music. Several of my workplaces have literally thousands of cds of this stuff. Load it all into itunes, let gracenotes get the info for each track and you've got your own massive searchable music library.

December 05, 2006 07:03PM
That is tres groovy. I ended up going with audiolicence.net, but not directly. Their US contact is at grooveaddicts.com, and he was very nice. Worked out a blanket deal for my project, $285 for as many tracks and needle drops as I want, and the selection is quite decent. They do blanket deals (non brodcast) based onprogram length. Up to 10 mins is $285, if you have less than 500 copies, then on up from there.

This forum is a truly great resource! I feel fortunate to be a part of it,

Marla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics