I actually WANT image stutter -- filter or technique to get it?

Posted by John K 
I actually WANT image stutter -- filter or technique to get it?
December 08, 2006 04:55PM
I'm cutting a "sizzle" piece (hate that term) with high-energy music under it. The music actually has the sound of a CD skipping in it and I'd like to accent that by skipping or stuttering the video in those moments -- just like an old VHS linear-editing deck with a case of the shakes. I think I could rock this with some tedious speed ramping adjustments, just wondering if there was a faster way to get this effect...

JK
Re: I actually WANT image stutter -- filter or technique to get it?
December 08, 2006 06:03PM
This kills everybody new to effects. Anybody can make a DVD skip, Hollywood requires you to make it skip exactly the same way fifteen times and then change it slightly and make it do it again fifteen more times. I don't know of any way other than to create each "stutter". I'm pretty sure that's the only way you're going to match it to existing track.

Did you Google?

Collections of "random" things on the screen are never random, either. Those take a staff of eight working weekends. Did you try just freezing a frame for a split second and then picking up the action again later? I don't think a skipping DVD goes into variable speed. It just stops dead sometimes with checkerboard distortion.

Koz
December 08, 2006 06:41PM
Hi Koz,

I've been Googling for it, nothing is exactly what I'm looking for; a lot of folks suggest Strobe or Blink or just doing it by hand with keyframes. Oy. I may throw the clip into Motion and see if there's a Behavior setting that will work...
December 08, 2006 08:20PM
Try the Strobe filter that comes with FCP. It's "regular", not random, but looks like video trying to catch up with itself. In fact, it very closely resembles what your video looks like when you are capturing it, like it's showing you every third frame or so, if that's anything like what you're after.

Scott
December 08, 2006 08:32PM
> Try the Strobe filter that comes with FCP. It's "regular", not random, but looks like video
> trying to catch up with itself. In fact, it very closely resembles what your video looks like
> when you are capturing it, like it's showing you every third frame or so, if that's anything like
> what you're after.

Strobe is one of my favourite effects -- especially since it helps mask shaky camera when you have it! However, I think a better comparison is stop-motion. Basically it freezes your image for the specified number of frames, and if you have music underneath, you can time it so that the frozen frames match the groove of the music. I used it extensively for a music video I shot and cut that I will be posting in Show and Tell in a while.

In this case, though, I don't think Strobe would be enough. You'd probably need to play with other effects like Gaussian Blur, Motion Blur, or Eureka's Streaker to distort the image itself aside from manipulating the motion.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics