Color Shift??

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Color Shift??
December 15, 2006 12:07PM
Working with some DVCProHd footage and doing some rough layouts on my powerbook. When ever i do the digital desktop display, there seems to be a big difference of color when the image is stopped or playing back. I know DV will clip the highlights on playback and am wondering if this is the same thing except with chroma? Also, which image is showing the correct color? i.e. which will be more accurately reflected on output to say a DVD?

I am def not doing my color correcting here and will do that on a broadcast monitor but just for now, i am curious about which is more correct, still or playback? thanks...
Re: Color Shift??
December 15, 2006 12:46PM
Your machine, when playing back the footage, is playing it at a lower resolution to ensure that it doesn't drop frames:

"Shane's Stock Answer #2: Blurry playback

ONLY JUDGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR MATERIAL ON AN EXTERNAL NTSC MONITOR, OR AT LEAST A TV.

1. Disable overlays on the canvas
2. Make sure you've rendered everything (no green bars at the top of the timeline

[docs.info.apple.com]

Video playback requires large amounts of data and many computations. In order to maintain frame rate and be viewable at a normal size, only about one-fourth of the DV data is used in displaying the movie to the screen. However, the DV footage is still at full quality, and is best viewed thru a TV or NTSC monitor routed thru your camera or deck"

Where is this footage stored? And what machine are you editing this with? Because I noticed this shift when editing on my older G4, but when I upgraded to a G5 and stored the footage on FW800 drives, the issue went away.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2006 01:15PM
its a powerbook G4 1.67 1.5GB RAM on a FW 800 drive viewing DVCProHD 720p24 compliments of an HVX. I've been doing to digital desktop playback so i can get a larger view for checking shots, etc. Thats when i notice it the most...

Like i said, this is just the rough cut, getting the best shots from the shoot laid out, the final edit will be on our G5 and will def be checked on a broadcast monitor, im just trying to understand more about what final cut is doing with the image and why. Sounds like the still image is the best indicator for the true color of the video, as would make sense i guess
December 15, 2006 01:39PM
I just checked with my laptop (same specs as yours) and I see the same thing. It is most likely the processor power.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2006 03:33PM
wow, thanks for doing that shane. I'll check on a friends 17" MacBook Pro to see if theres any difference...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics