In praise of the Voice Over Tool
December 16, 2006 05:48PM
Just completed another feature using the V/O Tool for all the ADR and Foley for domestic and for M&E. It's really really easy to use and works flawlessly.

This post is simply to remind the esteemed members of this board that you no longer need totter off to a post facility and get charged loadsamunny when you have it in FCP.

Best

Harry
Re: In praise of the Voice Over Tool
December 17, 2006 03:24AM
I tried the V/O. I never realized there was a recorder built into it! I used to go to Soundtrack Pro and record the sound there and then export it and then import it into FCP project. Now I can just record it right into FCP and drop it on the timeline!

By the way, Harry, thanks for your hospitality. My wife and I loved visiting you. I learned so much about the digital camera and 24p shooting. It was really an eye-opener how beautiful the footage looked. I think you really have a viable feature on your hands.

Wishing you the best of success!

Vic
December 17, 2006 11:20AM
> I never realized there was a recorder built into it!

?????

What would be the point of a Voice-Over feature if it doesn't actually record the voice-over?

www.derekmok.com
December 17, 2006 11:34AM
How I typically use the tool is I create a new timeline and lay in about 20-30 min of slug. Because the VO tool requires that it record onto a timeline. Then I mark an IN point at the head of the timeline and record away.

I do this because I record a lot of TEMP VO...I haven't started cutting yet. I mix this with interviews to get a Radio Edit...rough layout of the show, voice only. THen I start filling in B-roll and recreations and the like.

I know it was designed so that you record in a certain spot on the timeline, but that is useless for those of us who need to record VO BEFORE we cut.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 17, 2006 12:35PM
I always knew intuitively that you were one of the best editors in the business, Shane. This confirms my belief. I love your technique. I for one appreciate the insight you demonstrated regarding editing.

Also thank you for pointing out that it's necessary to insert a slug when there is no picture so the V/O can be recorded directly to the timeline. I haven't started using V/O yet.

I'm looking forward to working with you as soon as budgets allow.
December 17, 2006 12:47PM
> How I typically use the tool is I create a new timeline and lay in about 20-30 min of slug.
> Because the VO tool requires that it record onto a timeline. Then I mark an IN point at the
> head of the timeline and record away.

I do something very similar. In my case, I rarely record voice-overs before picture cut because I do a lot of commercials, and the narrative films I cut tend not to use voice-overs. But I prefer recording voice-overs in an empty timeline so that I don't run into collisions or end up with a lot of junk in my editing timeline. For shorter projects like 30-second spots, sometimes I export a full-quality movie file as picture reference for the voice-overs, if I need one (no rendering). Shane's documentary work probably requires a lot more voice-over (the voice-over is 60 per cent of the story), so he needs to pre-record it to determine the length of the scratch script.

www.derekmok.com
December 17, 2006 02:07PM
Aha, so it's possible to record V/O in the timeline even if there is no picture track? I made the wrong assumption then.

However, regarding the technique Shane indicated, I think it will work with narrative film also. In fact I know it does. I do that even when I'm editing film. I often record a running narration of where I'm taking the story, transfer it to 35mm mag and lay it on my Cinmeonta 6-plate flatbed. Then I insert shots in places where my "scratch narration" indicates they will work. Later I remove the narration and lay in music or other dialog from various scenes of the movie. I think it's a very creative technique. I'm happy Shane brought it up. Sometimes we get too caught up in the technical perfection of an editing system such as the NLE editing systems and then we forget that picture and sound should be considered separately as well as intended by the standard screenplay.

This V/O discussion is getting very interesting. Thanks for your comments, Derek, regarding keeping a tidy timeline and commercial editing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics