Cross Dissolve between 2 layers

Posted by Dean 
Cross Dissolve between 2 layers
December 28, 2006 07:32PM
Have any of you seen a program where you can dissolve between 2 clips that are on different video layers by dropping a cross dissolve on them ? My friend seems to think he used to be able to do it in Premier and it just doesn't seem right to me. Sure you could over lap them and set transparency to do it but just to drop an effect on????

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Re: Cross Dissolve between 2 layers
December 28, 2006 07:40PM
Premiere uesd to have a 'transition' track where you dropped the transition, not between the two clips like in FCP. So it was required that the clips be on a different track to the transition. Not sure how it works these days.

It would work in FCP to just drop a cross dissolve on the upper layer as long as it overlapped the bottom layer by enough frames to make it smooth. So, select the end of the clip on V2, apply a cross dissolve, then right click on the dissolve in the timeline and choose 'transtition alignment' and change this to 'Start on Edit'.

December 28, 2006 08:00PM
Cool, thanks Jude I have forwarded that to him.

------------------------
Dean

December 28, 2006 08:51PM
yep i agree with overlapping with a crossD. i have even used a crossD at the begining of the upper and at the end of the lower. in that you will still have to worry about enough frames so that you dont drop towards blk.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 28, 2006 08:57PM
i really miss the old premiere method. didnt have to worry about unseen handles. if you had visible clip on the timeline you had room for the transition. i dont know why but premiere is also now like fcp in this process... : (
December 28, 2006 09:10PM
"I really miss the old premiere method. didn't have to worry about unseen handles."

Hey maybe we could get them to put that feature in! =)

------------------------
Dean

December 28, 2006 09:19PM
Nooo. I hated it! Think of a 15 layer comp with a transition layer between each layer. Thats 29 layers to scroll up and down. Please no.

December 28, 2006 09:30PM
2 words

nes ted

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 28, 2006 10:17PM
> Nooo. I hated it! Think of a 15 layer comp with a transition layer between each layer. Thats
> 29 layers to scroll up and down. Please no.

I second Jude. I think both Adobe Premiere (my first editing tool, period) and Avid have an awkward approach towards transitions. Avid's nesting system drives me absolutely bonkers.

If you want ultimate control over transition speed and placement, consider using Opacity Keyframe Overlays ("rubber bands"winking smiley to execute your multi-layer transitions. Bear in mind, though, that using opacity to execute dissolves yields a very different look.

www.derekmok.com
December 29, 2006 03:03AM
[Hey maybe we could get them to put that feature in! =)]

Maybe we can leave them alone on that one?

All I need is a reminder of Media 100 or Premiere...

The added mechanics of making a dissolve on its own track doesn't help me concentrate on content. I think they allow you to bury it now on Premiere Pro.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 29, 2006 10:26AM
>>i really miss the old premiere method. didnt have to worry about unseen handles. if you had >>visible clip on the timeline you had room for the transition. <<<<
>>> Hey maybe we could get them to put that feature in! =) <<<<
I didn't so much mean about the crossD over layers just the crossD without the handles as Wayne stated. It just made it a little easier.

------------------------
Dean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics