new macpros

Posted by Aaron Zander 
new macpros
January 10, 2007 04:04PM
does any one have a time frame for the release of the new macpor's with the new intel octo cores, i was hoping macworld, but steve jobs crushed my dreams with an Iphone.

any one have a clue, I finally hae the cash for it, and have a blank monitor staring me in the face, waiting for use.

I'm going to cry inside for a little while i wait and hope for some one who might beable to help me

-Aaron
Re: new macpros
January 10, 2007 04:32PM
do you have projects waiting? if yes, get a quad G5 and get to work. by the time they get all the various intel and peripheral kinks worked out, you'll have the bucks all squared away and ready again...
January 10, 2007 07:03PM
I'm with you Aaron. I'm sitting here with a pocketful of cash and an aging G4. My insider (a friend at an Apple store who I keep ringing and whining to) says she wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement in the next couple of weeks. But I don't know. Why didn't they just announce it at the keynote?

I'm sure she's just saying that so I'll leave her alone for a few weeks. winking smiley

January 10, 2007 09:47PM
I'm with you on that Jude. I was planning to buy a new Mac this week after the Keynote. Now I think I'll have to wait to see what happens at NAB. Its not going to affect my earnings one way or the other whether I get a new Mac before then.

I'm also nervous regarding which of the Final Cut packages will get the axe at NAB if & when the rumored Final Cut Extreme is revealed. I'm betting that Final Cut Pro will survive & become the new Final Cut Express, but I think I'll wait to make sure.

I was pretty bumed out by the announcements yesterday, but have largely got over it & settled into a wait for NAB mode to see if the situation improves.

Dave
January 10, 2007 11:12PM
At least you've all got a pocketful of cash!

IMO, the best time to buy a Mac is obviously when new ones come out, but I always tend to buy the superceded model. I bought a 1.83ghz MBP 15 inch when it was de-listed - saved myself $800, which buys a fair bit of RAM - and a few slabs of beer.

Just my opinion though - if you gotta have the latest and greatest I understand that too.

I would be aware of the 8/16 core thing though - ProTools STILL doesn't use my dual gore G5 to full advantage.
January 11, 2007 12:13AM
IMO, the only people who think they "need" latest and greatest (anyone remember the ppc 8100av???) are one of three scenarios:
1. the same folk who drive the entry level lamborghini and or have a cigarrette boat.
2. just dumb enough to be snowed by marketing hype (a la HDV)
3. have enough money and spare time (and patience) to be guinnea pigs.

first-gen ANYTHING is historically a pain in the hiney. if you have to ASK [public] forums about latest and greatest, you probably shouldnt risk your investment buying it.

may sound harsh, but 97% of the time its just the way it has been...

but i could be wrong here. maybe the first gen intels WERE the guinea pigs???
January 11, 2007 12:42AM
See, for me, I'd rather buy the latest technology I can afford, so that it lasts longer. I'm also quite good at troubleshooting, and have several other machines already in service that can pick up in an emergency. So I'm the perfect guinea pig, really.

Also, yeah, I think the Intels were the big jump. I'm just holding out for more of them in the one box, at about the same price as less of them were a few months ago.

January 11, 2007 03:47AM
Glad to see there are lots of folk in the same shoes as me. i've been squirreling away the pennies for so long, resisted the first gen intel macs, was expecting an update this week in some shape or form, and was gutted to see nothing... not even the monitors!

Well steve said he was leaving the mac announcments for the 'next few months' if i remember rightly.. i guess thats as good as it gets.
January 11, 2007 04:45AM
p.t. barnum said it and sadly, it remains true...
January 11, 2007 08:23AM
Wayne, are you saying that buying a new computer makes us suckers?

January 11, 2007 01:30PM
more of a "consumer-wide" comment...

but it seems to me that anyone who has to be concerned over the cost of a single machine would be foolish to gamble their cash on a first-gen release of anything.

ive just seen too many first gens become more or less "doorstops" and im a bit jaded...
January 11, 2007 03:24PM
So on that note ... I would be interested in buying a "new" G5 Quad, but they are hard to find. Is anyone still selling them as new equipment, or reliable used? Apple store has at least one refurbished for sale, is there another reliable source?

And are those Dell 24" displays still the best deal going? Any good discounts coming up? Haven't seen anyone mention these in a while.

Scott
January 11, 2007 03:35PM
ive seen quads at a number of stores (fry's often stocks a lot of older stuff) and of course anything "refurbed" from apple is a safe bet.

and yeah, ive yet to see another monitor that can best the dell in a side by side price/performance test. i havent heard of any big deals from dell. my cousin is a sales manager there and he will normally tell me if there ar eany super deals going on.
January 11, 2007 06:03PM
Pfft. No sense of adventure. tongue sticking out smiley Would you buy last year's model car because the new one might have problems? AFAIC there's no sense in buying old technology. It just gets outdated quicker. And all models were first gen once. The first Dual? The first Quad? The first Octo? When do you decide it's 'safe' to buy?

January 11, 2007 06:06PM
Of the 20 or so Intel Pros, MB and MBPs I've experienced, all are happy. Absolutely no offence intended Wayne, but the other consumer theory is that 1% speak the loudest. I'm thinking about the discolouration of MacBooks here - I'm yet to see or hear of one here in Australia - but then, maybe we get the better stock? winking smiley

Anyway, my point still stands about the multi-processor - I'd be careful initially on that for sure Jude and Co.
January 12, 2007 06:55AM
ok, as one of the leading people with experience with the mac pro's on the forums (im now working with 36 of them, 2 of them ar 3.0's with 8 gigs of ram [just set them up a few days ago grinning smiley]) ive seen very few problems other than they dont like deep freeze, but no computers really like it. the thing is as an adc student member i was waiting for this computer to use my discount, adn now i only have one for 2007, instead of using it last year, and this year. and i buy the latest and greatest because as a student, i need the computer to last as long as possible.

do i have projects, yes, would the computer benifit me YES, are the current projects unpaid student work, sadly yes...

im not worried about being a guinea pig, out of 36 computers, the first 30 of which were purchases 2 weeks after release ive seen 1 problem, that was detramental at all. I'm just sick of waiting for christmas....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics