Compressor "unable to connect to background process"

Posted by Tom Jackson 
Compressor "unable to connect to background process"
January 12, 2007 09:37AM
This has been discussed before and I searched the FAQs, but couldn't find a good answer. Compressor 2.3 delivers Unable to connect to background process when submitting anything. After both re-installing Compressor and QMaster as per the Apple support directions, and trashing compressor play list, the app works until the computor is shut down. Then after reboot, the dreaded unable to connect to background process message returns. I also noticed that when the Cluster box says None Available that's when the message appears and you can't submit anything.
When it says This Computer everything works normally. Is there a new fix to this. I am working on a PPC G5 with FCP 5.1.2 and Compressor 2. The updates to 2.3 don't change this behavior.

Thank You, Tom Jackson

Tom Jackson
Re: Compressor "unable to connect to background process"
January 12, 2007 10:05AM
Turn off your anti-virus.

[docs.info.apple.com]

Koz
January 12, 2007 10:24AM
Don't have any Third party anti-virus software. And I followed all steps in the apple notice. And all works well until I reboot the computer. Then Compressor reverts back to not submitting anything and displaying warning message. The Cluster box also then reverts to: None Available instead of This Computer. Please advise.

Thanks, Tom
January 12, 2007 10:35AM
It can have to do something about the wrong version of ProApps file support, as I remember.
January 12, 2007 12:48PM
That's interesting, because Software Update shows I have installed the last two Pro Apps Updates but the receipts are missing in the receipt folder. And when I try to re-install them, the installer will not allow it. Says the computer does not need them. Yech!.
January 12, 2007 03:01PM
The tough thing about the ProApps Support files is that they never put a .version on them. They date then 2006-10 or so other inane way.

I would check on apple.com for what the latest version is, to be sure.
January 13, 2007 08:31AM
Re-installed the latest Pro Apps Update 2006-02, but to no avail. only thing that works is to follow the advise in the FAQ thread which requires opening Terminal and typing in commands to open Qmaster services. Then all is fine until I re-boot, at which point I must type in commands in Terminal again. Pain in the butt!
January 13, 2007 08:37AM
Have you tried reinstalling Compressor and Qmaster?
January 13, 2007 08:43AM
Yes, several times (I followed the Apple directions exactly) After each time Compressor will submit a batch as normal, UNTIL you shut down. Upon reboot, the dreaded message re-displays and Compressor is basically unusable.
January 13, 2007 09:01AM
Did you recently upgrade the OS?
March 02, 2007 09:48AM
Got EXACTLY the same problem as Tom Jackson. I also have the problem that I cant't export MPEG-2 from my Quicktime (pro). So no MPEG2 exporting for me!
Does any one knows the answer on our problem?

Thnx: Derrick from Amsterdam
March 02, 2007 12:20PM
Derrick:

I found a workaround to make compressor work as usual. Here are directions:
Open Utilities app and then open Terminal. Type in exactly as follows:
sudo /Library/StartupItems/Qmaster/Qmaster
Then type in your password
"starting Qmaster services" should appear
Type in exit
You should now be able to open Compressor and have it function properly.

As a side note, I never use Compressor much any more, as I usually have fewer artifacts using Quicktime (not out of FCP but as the standalone by opening Quicktime player and encoding a reference Quicktime movie from FPC)

Good luck, Tom
March 02, 2007 12:35PM
Apple has a Apple Care doc on this problem. Its in the FAQ

[docs.info.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 06, 2007 05:43PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apple has a Apple Care doc on this problem. Its in
> the FAQ
>
> [docs.info.apple.com]
> 34

No WAY! You really wrote that, didn't you? As someone suffering the same issue, it's like someone cutting your brake cable, crashing your car, and having everyone you know say "You should have hit the brakes."

What is the matter with compressor? I missed a serious deadline because I couldn't output.
April 06, 2007 07:46PM
> What is the matter with compressor? I missed a serious deadline because I couldn't output.

For one thing, there are few things Compressor does that you can't do with QuickTime Player and Final Cut Pro. If you were exporting for the web, Export - Using QuickTime Compression would have worked. If for DVD, you could have used full-quality QuickTime movies and bypassed Compressor altogether.

> No WAY! You really wrote that, didn't you? As someone suffering the same issue, it's like
> someone cutting your brake cable, crashing your car, and having everyone you know say
> "You should have hit the brakes."

Mike H. wasn't the cause of your technical problems -- he didn't "cut your brake cable". He was pointing you to a useful resource which describes the most common causes and solutions for the issue you named. Please be courteous when addressing people on here who are trying to help others for no money, no credit, and on their own time.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics