capturing drop frame and changing it into no drop ?

Posted by hunterlee 
capturing drop frame and changing it into no drop ?
January 14, 2007 05:00AM
Hey guys,

I'm capturing a drop frame tape was wondering if i could capture it NON-Drop. I did it before on my first project. Let me explain. On my other project, my tapes were drop-frame. I some how changed it. So what would happen is once i would put in the tape and play it a bit. The timecode would change to non drop. It doesn't work for this project. My sequence is non-drop , but all the captured footage is drop frame. Will i run into problems or am i just missing a setting. Really appreciate the help
Re: capturing drop frame and changing it into no drop ?
January 14, 2007 11:32AM
Do a google search on "definition of drop frame timecode".

Your source timecode has absolutely NOTHING to do with your sequence time code. It's irrelevant. Your sequence is a separate entity removed from it's source components. The kind of code you used to create a sequence doesn't matter. Both drop and non drop can happily live together in a sequence.

I don't understand what you mean by changing the the timecode. If you're doing that, then you're breaking all connection with the original footage, making it impossible to ever accurately redigitize that material. I'd suggest you get someone to explain to you the use of timecode in the editing workflow, 'cause you're headed for a disaster!

Good luck.

Mark
January 14, 2007 12:44PM
The two timecodes are generally associated with specific framerates. Drop Frame is used with 23.98, 29.97. Non Drop Frame is used with the frame rates that come out even. 30, 24, 60.

Drop Frame is generally associated with NTSC and standard US DV shows becaue their framerate is 29.97.

If you change the duration or framerate of your clips, then you can change the timecode type.

Koz
January 14, 2007 12:50PM
By the way, you can cross them, but then clip duration wil be wrong. When it says 60 minutes on the timeline, the show will not be 60 minutes long as measured by the clock in your cellphone.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics