OT: Just threw MS PowerPoint in Trash....!!!

Posted by CyWar 
OT: Just threw MS PowerPoint in Trash....!!!
January 21, 2007 11:24AM
Stumbled across Keynote the other day. Didn't even know it was on my Mac (OK, so I need new glasses). After working with it, I am absolutely amazed at what it can do. Boy, does it solve problems for me in creating presentations at my office. That I can export to a Quicktime movie and still retain the all the slideshow attributes will make it so much easier to distribute in this format to various platforms. This Keynote 3.0 is a gem...!!! I immediately threw PowerPoint in the trash..... The things I can do in Keynote that can't be done in PowerPoint... Wow!

Of course, don't I have a lot of learning to do to use it well!!

On that note (no pun intended), can any post a link to any Keynote usergroups like LAFCPUG? It would be greatly appreciated. It is amazing what one can learn by just READING the threads others have posted in this group. Thanks to all.

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
Re: OT: Just threw MS PowerPoint in Trash....!!!
January 21, 2007 03:28PM
no doubt that keynote is slick as snot. but i wouldnt cast powerpoint in the trash just yet - IF you do any work with windows powerpoint folks... things dont translate super well between the two apps.

and lets face it 99.7% of the business world is functionally dependant upon ms powerpoint.

though i personally credit powerpoint with lowering the bar of business communication over the last 15 years... : (
January 21, 2007 05:52PM
If you want to see Keynote on steroids, take a look at Al Gore's movie Inconvenient Truth. It is a love letter to Keynote and Apple. Here are couple of articles that talks about how they made use of the app in the movie:

[www.apple.com]

[www.presentationzen.com]

I am not a fan of Mr Gore or his message, but I did watch the movie to see how they incorporate Keynote into the movie, which is basically a filmed version of his presentation on global warming. I understand the comment about the 99% use Powerpoint, but if you are looking to incorporate a presentation into a video or film, I think after looking at this movie, there is no question that Keynote is the only choice.
January 21, 2007 06:06PM
with powerpoints death-grip on international business communication. its my belief that keynote will be forever relegated to smaller biz, one-off, and specialty uses (like video). i can think of no large business who would even give it the time of day - even though its kicks the snot out of PPT.
January 21, 2007 07:13PM
I am not a fan of Mr Gore or his message....

Huh? I can see not being a fan of Gore, but the message? Dont want to turn this thread into a political argument, but sheesh.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 21, 2007 09:10PM
Thanks. I didn't really "trash" powerpoint; still have in my Offic for Mac programs; do realize will have need to translate when office provides "drafts" in powerpoint; however, Keynote is now definitely my tool of preference; particularly since I can deliver the final in QT and when they ask for my PowerPoint so it can be used by someone else for some other project........ well, guess what... Thanks, Everyone.

Didn't what to start a "political" discssion, just wondered if there was a usergroup for Keynote as good as this one for FCP.

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
January 21, 2007 11:26PM
Michael: The only reason I pointed out my basic opinion of Mr Gore is because I was posting links about the film and I did not want people to think I was promoting that cause or the film. So, sorry about that. Politics aside, I do recommend anyone to see the film that wants to learn how creative a tool Keynote is. Not only for film or video use, but as a presentation tool that has the ability to WOW an audience. Watch the movie and imagine he is giving a powerpoint presentation. Not the same movie.

Wayne: I certainly agree that if you work in a corporate or other environment where you have to share a presentation with others, the windows domination certainly means that PowerPoint will be a must, unfortunately. I am looking forward to seeing the next version of Keynote which i assume will come once Leopard is released.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics