HDV & Compressor

Posted by licfulee 
HDV & Compressor
January 21, 2007 11:43PM
Hi

I'm just trying to finish my feature and find i'm running into some compressor/FCP issues.

I'm running off a G5 Dual 2.3. FCP 5.1 in an HDV 1080i60 Sequence. I exported a self contained QT with DVDSP markers. I brought it into compressor and used a Best 90 min DVD 16:9 setting to make my Mpeg and AC3. Authored my DVD in DVDSP and it burned fine but I find it skips in some places and artifacts in some places and I've tried on 2 different DVD players. On some SONY DVD players, it doesn't even play.

What is the best way to make a DVD from an HDV sequence? Please help?
Re: HDV & Compressor
January 22, 2007 02:12AM
here is one method: [www3.telus.net] (link posted by Bonsia, on Apple's FCP discussion forum)
January 22, 2007 03:56AM
Now don't quote me on this because I'm new to this anyway :-) But here's what I do ... when I shoot HDV. Since I'm not going to go to HD DVD or Blue Ray at this point, I convert to SD and edit in SD. Then it's straightforward when exporting via Compressor 2.
January 26, 2007 01:33AM
I edited a 60 minute HDV project last year and output it to DVD. I wanted to edit in HDV for future HD output.

After many tests I found the best looking solution. Dump your final edit back to your HDV camera with print to video. Then recapture the final edit back to FCP while down converting it in the camera to DV. I think I set FCP to DV anamorphic.

Once you have the down converted file on the computer you can make your MPEG2 like you normally do with DV and it should look great.

A hardware conversion is usually always better than software.
January 26, 2007 11:19AM
jdfilms!

Thanks alot! That really makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely try that. However, I did manage to burn a dvd that looked great and I tried on 3 different dvd players that had no problems. But obviously my clients DVD player didn't take it. Thanks for your advice!!

Marshall
January 26, 2007 10:30PM
A couple thoughts on encoding.
It helps to place a compression marker at the beginning of dissolves so that it forces the compressor to start a new frame instead of simply gathering information from previous frames. You can also do this where you find the dvd hanging up. Also, if you're buring a standard def dvd, I try to keep my settings to 5.5MPS/Sec 7.0 mbs/sec 2pass VBR with motion est. at best. I also adjust settings in FCP to none on field dominence.

Best

Chet Simmons
Las Vegas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics