Can PC users play MP4 files?

Posted by harry323 
Can PC users play MP4 files?
January 24, 2007 06:29PM
I have to send a ten second clip to a PC person. I sent a Compressed QT file and they couldn't play it - or perhaps they couldn't be bothered.

Now I have converted it to an MP4 file. Is this a format that a normal PC owner could play without having to have a special player?

Thanks a million.

Best

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
Re: Can PC users play MP4 files?
January 24, 2007 06:33PM
I'm on a PC and I can play mp4's, so the answer is yes.

Sean
January 24, 2007 06:40PM
Something to remember when sending any kind of file out to the world: Macs don't use file extensions, PCs do. So if you happened to send him that QT without adding ".mov" at the end of the filename it would appear to be unplayable. Until of course you have _them_ add the extension.

Not sure what the extension for MP4 is, perhaps ".mp4"? ".mpg"?
January 24, 2007 07:21PM
Thanks for your replies. If anyone could tell me what the file extension is for mp4 for certain, that would be great.

I have stuck .mp4 on the end for the moment ... can someone correct or confirm this please?

Meanwhile, thanks again.

Best

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
January 24, 2007 08:08PM
<<<If anyone could tell me what the file extension is for mp4 for certain, that would be great. >>>

Maybe not so great. It's possible to tell your Mac to hide the file extensions from *you*, but to place them on the file for delivery. If you personally add an extension, you could be delivering:

MyReallyGreatMovie.mpg.mp4

One reason I tell all our Macs to show us everything.

Oh, and I wouldn't put any spaces in the filename, either. Some systems have trouble with that. Use underlines or upper/lower case like I did.

Koz
January 24, 2007 08:26PM
Kozikowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's possible to tell your
> Mac to hide the file extensions from *you*, but to
> place them on the file for delivery.

Maybe I'm misinformed. It was my understanding that the entire Mac system had no use for extensions and by default doesn't create them. I know how to view or hide "hidden" files, but I didn't know there was a way to hide extensions. Where do we do this?
January 24, 2007 08:28PM
Thanks again for the informative responses.

Best

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
January 24, 2007 09:19PM
go to the finder,
Application Menu > Preferences,
Advanced
Show all file extensions.

there's a whole world of stuff about to open up for you!!!
(not *that* exciting, really)

nick
January 24, 2007 09:49PM
Once again, thank you for your informative replies.

Gratefully,

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
January 24, 2007 10:41PM
Ah, thanks. Turns out I did have that turned on, and I have been blindly looking at ".app" and ".pdf" without even noticing... just like over there on the dark side!

Still seems like there are a lot of files without extensions. But then again maybe I'm really extension-blind.
January 25, 2007 09:40AM
anytime you can use exnesions - DO IT! its soooooo helpful to be in a workflow coming from illustrator, photoshop, after effects, etc and you can use the same filename, but each with their appropriate extension.

the rest of the world has been using extensions for ever, but all the bonehead mac people could never get their heads around it. now it seems many pc's come default set to hide extensions. but sadly they dont show icons in list veiw so all you see is the same filename like 8 times...grrrrr!
January 25, 2007 10:12AM
Hi Harry.

Short answer to your question: No. More Info -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992

However, if they have installed iTunes or Quicktime, they will be able to play back .mp4 in the Quicktime Player. Many PC-gurus recommend that Quicktime/iTunes not be installed, due to the fact that the Quicktime player does not play fairly with other PC applications. Quicktime is getting better, and with the success of iTunes, has been installed on many machines, but it is far from universal.

If you want quality video, guaranteed to be playable on most modern PCs, it would be wise to buy Flip4Mac, and encode .wmv files.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
January 25, 2007 10:39AM
Travis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> [support.microsoft.com]

The section about AVI on that page looks... appealing, in that it seems to be an open wrapper system like QT. Perhaps there's a flavor of AVI output that would be compatible and high quality without having to resort to WMV.
January 25, 2007 10:53AM
You are correct. You can get excellent quality video with an .avi file using one of the windows pre-installed codecs, like Cineform. Down-side is that standard Windows (older) .avi codecs are not as efficient as .wmv. If your video is short, .avi could would work extremly well, however, the .wmv codecs would a better choice for longer programs.

Good luck.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
January 25, 2007 12:46PM
So it looks like I have to get Flip 4 Mac.

Thanks to all.

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
January 25, 2007 06:12PM
<<<I'm really extension-blind.>>>

That's a good line. Can I use that?

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics