@!#$% High School Kids!

Posted by Browner 
@!#$% High School Kids!
January 30, 2007 12:53PM
When I came in this morning my production assistant told me he had some problems with one of the two emacs we have set set up for the public to use. The machine would come on with a little blue globe flashing in the center of the sceen. I did a Google search and found that someone had set the startup disk to the "network" setting. Now I'm starting to get pissed. You see there are two accounts on the machine a public account and an admin account. If someone makes changes in public account it gets fixed as soon as you power the machine off by software called Deep Freeze. So, someone had to sign on to the admin account and then turn the machine over to one of the high school kids who use our facility as a lab (you starting to see why I'm mad). It gets worse. He then tells me that the machine can't find the Sony DSR-11 tape machine connected to it via firewire. We change the cable, nope, we change machines, that's not it either, we check all the settings in preferences of FCP, yada yada, nothing. The little a__hole has deleated something, or made a change we can't find. Any ideas where to start? Or can we reinstall FCP, will that fix the problem. I'm down an edit suite till I can find a fix for this.

Do you really wanna know the problem,
or do you just want me to fix it? - McGyver
Re: @!#$% High School Kids!
January 30, 2007 01:00PM
just out of curiousity why the heck would you make an edit station available to the general public?
thats like getting mad at a fish for taking the bait...
January 30, 2007 01:06PM
We are a public access TV station. That's what we do. We have three FCP stations, one that is staff only that we use for govt. production (propaganda), and the other two are used by the public to make shows for the public and educational access channels. Everything from Martin Luther King day celebrations to the Klan.
January 30, 2007 01:16PM
Generally simply trashing preferences will cure this problem. Or a simple re-start. Tried that yet?

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 30, 2007 01:26PM
First, starting from an install CD (hold c during startup) will allow you to change the boot disk.

You can launch QuickTime Pro and get it to recognize the deck during File, New Movie Recording. That will prove the overall System is OK. After that, then yes, trash the Final Cut preference files and start over.

[www.lafcpug.org]

Koz
January 30, 2007 04:04PM
I just came back from shooting the new ice arena in town. Here is was the P.A. told me: He turned the machine back on to trash the preferences and it won't even boot all the way. It gets to the screen where it initializes and stops on "waiting for internet services". I think I'm going to have to reformat and reload unless you guys have some ideas. I'm going thru the forms to find out which kid I should strangle. Then I'll start with my staff...Arrgh.

Ron Browne
January 30, 2007 04:06PM
Dude...breathe...relax. Understandably you are upset, but your language & tone is totally unacceptable in here.

I would boot from the install disc and trash your Prefs to start. If that doesn't do anything, an Archive & Install will give you control over a new system without wiping out all your old settings.

If you allow access...you're GONNA GET ACCESS. It's the Admin's fault for not locking it out so don't kill any kids...go smash a mirror tongue sticking out smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 30, 2007 04:08PM
Listen up!

Boot from an install CD (put the CD in, restart and hold c ) and change the boot preference to the internal hard drive.

Koz
January 30, 2007 04:25PM
Hold down the 'X' key during startup to force the machine to boot into OSX.

JK
January 30, 2007 04:44PM
Ok, ok, ok. <deep breath> <exhale>. I'm normally quite normal (just ask me), but this was the last straw this week. My macspert moved to North Carolina, my best intern got a real job and last night my building that is under renovation on the floor above me began leaking above the rack that holds the video server and the terrabyte array. I'm sure something else could go wrong but I hope not.

I appologize for being so out of control. I WILL start from the CD and do all the things you suggested, AND I will be switching to decafe starting tomorrow. Thanks you!
January 30, 2007 05:14PM
We used to call them GDHKs....
January 30, 2007 05:17PM
Dude, you should go buy a lottery ticket.
Stuff's gotta even out somehow after a week like that.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 30, 2007 06:31PM
<<<<deep breath> <exhale>>>>

A mashed potato dam day.

There is a New Yorker cartoon with the husband and wife sitting down to dinner. The husband has been telling his wife all the terrible things that happened to him all day. He looks down at his plate and says, "And now, my mashed potato dam broke."

Koz
January 30, 2007 06:46PM
LOL! I'm at home now. I have a great wife and three (relatively) healthy teenage daughters. I have nothing to complain about.
January 30, 2007 07:10PM
Rent the movie "The Money Pit" and get a case of beer (or a few bottles of wine). It's a classic "whatever can go wrong - will go wrong... but life goes on" story. It's a good laugh - very cathartic.

Life's always better when I come home to my family. That's where life IS.

God Bless & Good Luck grinning smiley

- Joey

January 31, 2007 09:18AM
Kozikowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A mashed potato dam day.
>
> There is a New Yorker cartoon with the husband and
> wife sitting down to dinner. The husband has been
> telling his wife all the terrible things that
> happened to him all day. He looks down at his
> plate and says, "And now, my mashed potato dam
> broke."

You wouldn't happen to have that saved would you? That made me laugh.
January 31, 2007 05:55PM
My Dear Grafixjoe,

What on earth is upsetting to you about this guy's language? I know we don't want people being completely crazy and out of hand and rude on this board, but I would hardly call his "language and tone totally unacceptable in here". He's just suffering from rage at his hideous teenaged pupils.

What's up with you today, O Wise One! Or O Grumpy One!, perhaps?

Best wishes

Harry.

PS. I'd better be nice to you or you won't answer my posts. And then I'll be the enraged one.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
January 31, 2007 11:24PM
Oh my dear Harry Bromley-Davenport...

That is my opinion.

February 01, 2007 06:01PM
2 weeks......

Hope you sorted your problems - all the suggestions above should go some way to fixing it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics