HDV, or Blank Tape

Posted by Kozikowski 
HDV, or Blank Tape
January 30, 2007 04:05PM
A tape showed up for us to use and it appears to be blank on our Sony GV-D1000 "Clamshell" Mini DV player. It has no signal at all except for the length-of-tape countdown.

What would an HDV tape look like under these conditions?

Koz
Re: HDV, or Blank Tape
January 30, 2007 04:13PM
The last time I looked at HDV footage on a DV deck I could see an image; it was distorted somehow or maybe running at a weird speed, don't recall exactly. But I'm pretty sure the sound was messed up or non-existent. Bottom line, if there was footage on the tape you would see something.

JK

January 30, 2007 05:15PM
That's scary. The fuzzy recollections of the participants were that the video company was going to do the show in HiDef.

I, too, thought I should maybe see something. Like time/frame code.

Remembering, too, that HDV is Highly compressed MPEG2 which has I frames. So at best, you would see one frame every 16 or so, not full motion.

Koz
January 30, 2007 09:18PM
Recently I had somebody who had filmed quite a bit of footage in HDV format, but then inserted the tape into a DVCAM deck got no picture. The picture shows up on the camera during playback, but not on the VTR for obvious reasons. So he just wound up capturing the tape directly though the camera. We didnt see a single frame pass when playing it through my DSR-11, then I said "you didnt shoot in HDV did you?" and all was well smiling smiley
January 31, 2007 06:49AM
<<<and all was well >>>

All was well because you had access to an HDV camera. We're running around the company looking for one. The original shoot was done by a hired-out company paid for by friend's relations of the person that walked in with the job.

You didn't get any sound, either, right? Or TimeCode?

Koz
January 31, 2007 01:22PM
Capturing from a non-HDV deck(DSR-25) with HDV footage gives me time-code only, no image, no audio, just blue screen. Although once from a normal DV camera, not a deck, I saw no timecode either...So I think it can vary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics