Frame rate converter error

Posted by John K 
Frame rate converter error
February 05, 2007 08:11PM
I'm trying to convert some 720p60 clips to 23.98 for slow-motion effects. I open the clip in a new project, click the frame rate converter tool and try to export it out as a new 23.98 clip. It gets all the way through saving the clip and then gives me this error:

"An error occured during processing. Unable to conform source media."

Not sure what's going on here; I found a posting on Creative Cow but it was more to do with embedded flags from Varicam footage, not sure it applies here. This was shot on an HVX and given to me on a drive (I didn't shoot or capture the material). Could there be something wrong with the source clip?

JK

February 05, 2007 08:54PM
<<<Could there be something wrong with the source clip?>>>

I'm suspicious every time somebody tries to convert between a non-NTSC friendly framerate (60, 30, 24) to an NTSC one (59.94, 29.97, 23.976) They either don't go well at all, you get stuttering frames every so often, or the length of the show changes. There are no other options that I know of.

Were you expecting the length of the clips to change? Are you ready to deal with the sound sync issues? Are you *sure* they're 60.00 clips? You know the timecode has to change between Non Drop Frame to Drop Frame, right? You can't change the frame progression and keep the same time.

Koz
Re: Frame rate converter error -- Shane?
February 05, 2007 11:35PM
Koz, let me clarify:

Everything is drop-frame. 720p60 uses a 59.94 time base, trying to go 720p24 which is 23.98. This is the technique for getting slow-motion clips out of HVX200 footage; you shoot at 720p60 and convert it to 720p24 using the frame rate converter tool.

So I tried it again and while I keep getting this error it DOES create the new clip at 23.98, it just doesn't import it. But when I do import the new clip it's NOT in slow motion! It runs the same speed and length. I'm starting to think maybe they captured the P2 footage with the "remove duplicate frames" box checked. Hmmm. Is there any way I can tell by examining the footage?

Shane, if you're around I'd love your input too. Maybe you've seen this?

JK
Re: Frame rate converter error
February 06, 2007 12:12AM
Create a NEW PROJECT. Drag the clip into this project, THEN do the Frame Rate Conversion.

Little bug.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 06, 2007 12:21AM
Yup, did that already. It's just not converting the clips into slow motion; they're the same length and speed even though the timebase is changed.
February 06, 2007 12:30AM
Hmmm...duplicate one of the clips (on the drive, not in FCP) and then use CINEMA TOOLS to conform it to 23.98. That slows it down too...but destructively.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 06, 2007 12:37AM
Yeah, that worked. Thanks!

What do you think is going on with the converter?
February 06, 2007 01:02AM
Got me. Should work, but isn't. Hate it when that happens.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 06, 2007 01:07AM
D'oh!
February 06, 2007 10:00AM
Are there any major problems with conforming clips to different frame rates with Cinema Tools? I've just been playing around with adjusting clips with various rates and im astonished by the quality of the results - am i missing something?!
February 06, 2007 11:19AM
One note here that wasn't addressed in the thread. There are two ways to shoot at 720p60 (59.94). Either you're shooting 24p or 30p and its recorded in a 720p60 format (either HVX or Varicam), or it was shot at 60fps (variable frame rate). These are two completely different animals and unfortunately there is no way to tell by looking at the file which it was (not that I know of).

If it was 24p (or 30p), then you can not use this footage with the frame rate converter. Its not really 60fps, its got dummy frames embedded in it. If it was shot at 60fps, then the footage can be used with the frame rate converter.

I'm not sure if this is what's going on here, but I thought I would throw in the feedback just in case.

Andrew Balis
Lead Final Cut Pro Instructor
www.moviola.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics