Click option drag to duplicate clips

Posted by shelleyrae 
Click option drag to duplicate clips
February 07, 2007 12:12PM
Hi,

I'm having a problem getting the click>option>drag to duplicate a clip. I'm trying to duplicate a clip and put it on video track 2 so that I can send it to Motion and not destroy the original clip. I also need to duplicate an audio clip that's on A1 and duplicate it to A2 to beef up the sound. I have been able to do this before but now when I try, in both cases, it just moves the original clip and does an insert edit. I've tried holding down the option key until I can see the overwrite arrow but it never shows up. It just gives me the insert arrow, moves the clip to track 2 and opens up track 1 leaving a hole where the original clip was.

Am I doing something wrong or is this another trash prefs, thing? (I just recently trashed prefs by the way.)

Thanks for any insight.
Re: Click option drag to duplicate clips
February 07, 2007 12:38PM
Not a technique I use myself, but I just tested it. If you click on the clip and then press OPTION, it won't duplicate. Hold down OPTION first, then click and drag the clip you want to duplicate. Once you're at the new location, also hold down SHIFT to change from Insert to Overwrite, then release the mouse button.

Bit of an octopus-finger operation to me, so I usually just Copy, move the original with OPTION-Up/Down Arrow, and Paste. Or, double-click to open the clip in question and then drag it right back into the timeline. More operations, but for me it's faster than doing the wrong move and then having to undo it.

www.derekmok.com
February 07, 2007 12:50PM
The missing link was holding down the shift key to get the insert arrow. I just tried this and it it worked. I will also try the other methods you mentioned to see what feels easier.

Thanks so much!
February 07, 2007 02:24PM
Just to clarify a bit- to copy up or down without inserting, hold Shift/Option together, then click drag up or down to the new track. This copies as an overwrite. Very easy technique.

To copy by Option/dragging, which will insert, make sure you hold down the Option key before dragging or you won't duplicate (and instead perform a Swap edit).

Hope this helps.

Andrew Balis
Lead Final Cut Pro Instructor
www.moviola.com
February 08, 2007 08:28AM
Also, make sure your video isn't linked to your audio. If there is a clip collision with the additional audio you create if they are linked and you try to duplicate, the move won't be allowed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics