Importing an Photoshop .PSD file into FCP

Posted by halan 
Importing an Photoshop .PSD file into FCP
February 07, 2007 01:27PM
Hi, ALL
I'm getting problems to work with PSD files on FCP 4, I can import the .PSD file into FCP 4, but the main problem is that I'm unable to work with them like sequence, so I can't deal with them with separeted layers such the original file into Photoshop. After the file is imported into FCP its works like one single image (no layers).
PS. The file was saved on Photoshop 7 in 720x486 with layers.
Thanks in advance.
Halan Leno
Re: Importing an Photoshop .PSD file into FCP
February 07, 2007 01:31PM
I'm not sure about the layer issue but shouldn't the image size be either 720 x 547 for 601-NTSC 4:3 or 720 x 540 for DV-NTSC 4:3? Barry
February 08, 2007 02:58AM
Unlike AfterEffects FCP cannot split the layers of a PSD file. - Just export each layer separately and then inport them to FCP.
February 08, 2007 08:18AM
Not true, Josh. FCP can work with the layers of a .psd. Sometimes if the graphic originated on a different machine some sort of bug comes into play, though.

Try opening the .psd on your own machine in photoshop, changing something in the layer order and re-saving. Then import this new saved version into FCP and go from there.

February 09, 2007 03:59AM
Crikey i don't know why the heck i posted that, sorry!
February 09, 2007 08:45AM
>>i don't know why the heck i posted that, sorry!<<

I know the feeling Josh. Sometimes the brain just kind of slips a gear, I reckon. I've posted some total clangers before without any idea why. The great thing about the forum is that there's always someone who can pick up when you go off on a brain futz. smiling smiley.

February 12, 2007 09:57AM
The original .PSD file has been generated on a PC using Photoshop 7 the screen size is accurate 720 x 540, I've tried to save it on several formats but unfortunately it just dont work correctly ( layers ) into FCP 4.
Does anybody think that it could be something related to FCP4 settings ? I'm totally lost actually ....

Thanks
Halan
February 12, 2007 10:32AM
Could be a compatibility issue. Do you have Photoshop on the Mac? If so, open the PSD, don't change a thing, and just resave it under a different name. Try the import again.

www.derekmok.com
February 14, 2007 11:26AM
Unfortunately, I dont have a Photoshop in MAC sad smiley ...
Do you people really think that it should be a incompatibility between PC x MAC ? its sounds a little bit strange since PSD file is universal, anyway ... Lets keep walking smiling smiley
February 14, 2007 11:37AM
> Do you people really think that it should be a incompatibility between PC x MAC ? its sounds a
> little bit strange since PSD file is universal, anyway...

In theory, yes. In practice, even Photoshop files from a different Mac can sometimes behave strangely when imported into FCP.

Do you absolutely need the layers in one file (nested clip)? If you can finagle the layering in Photoshop and then save copies as flattened TIFFs, you can avoid the compatibility issue.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics