AJA vs Blackmagic??

Posted by TroyChristian 
Re: AJA vs Blackmagic??
February 13, 2007 01:37PM
BTW Shane, AJA 3.3 is installed.

Ran the following tests.

Opened iTunes, played a song thru internal speakers, sounded fine...

Prefs, sound, AJA - totally distorted

Went into FCP ran video only. Worked for about 30 seconds then the stuttering/stopping returned even with no audio.

Removed the settings for AJA and wa la smooth playback.

So it seems it IS the card.

So, to card or not to card- that is the question??? Sure would like to be able to preview on my HD monitor...

Troy Christian

G5 Quad, 8GB RAM, FCP HD Suite 2 6.0.5, OSX 10.5.6
AJA LHe card
February 13, 2007 05:43PM
Hey All-

Just an update...

Tried moving the card to another slot, changed settings and more settings... still no luck.

Think I am going to give up on the AJA card and go another direction. For some reason that none of us can figure out, my machine (which with the clean install os OS etc. now seems to be running well in every other way) just doesn't get along with the AJA LHe card.

1 1/2 weeks with not one single edit done... producers breathing down my neck...

Got a laugh though, just tried to use my photocopier and it broke down on me too... Advice- don't have me over at this point 'cause I'll end up voodooing your equipment too...

Anyone recommend another product to try Blackmagic? Trying to view using my Panasonic HD monitor.

Oh, and thank you all for the help on this...

Signed,

Resigned in LA

Troy Christian

AJA LHe card
February 14, 2007 10:43AM
Hi Troy --

Hey -- I'm the guy that talked about Firmware.

OK, you sound just like I was with my KonaLH. I went back to my tried/true Aurora FuseX until I got my clients taken care of and had time to mess around again. When I tried again, the Firmware update worked for me. I have a local technician who comes in and helps me with these things, so I didn't come up with it myself. (By the way, if you are in LA, you should just call this guy!!!)

I think Firmware is a Mac/OS issue, not Aja. Rudy may know what version of Firmware you need to be running. I would look on my System Profiler and tell you what I have now but I don't know what to look for. If anyone out there knows how I can see what version of Firmware I am running on my G5, please let me know. If I can get this information I will pass it along.

Kona is a great product. The card works, and you will be happy once the problem is solved. I encourage you to, when you have time, to try again. Again, if someone out there knows how I can tell what version of Firmware I am running now, I'll pass it along to you.

good luck!
k
February 14, 2007 11:25AM
Yes...I the guys at Aja did ask me what version of firmware I was running (I believe it was the Boot ROM Version in the Apple System Profiler / Hardware Overview).

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 14, 2007 12:10PM
Hey guys,

So, I did ask Rudy about the firmware thing. He sent me a link, I downloaded and it said that my firmware on my machine was up to date. I have definitely narrowed it down to the AJA card though- everything works fine untul I employ the card- even just a simple aif file freaks out when run thru the card.

Karl, who is your LA tech?

Troy Christian

AJA LHe card
February 14, 2007 12:24PM
Heya Troy --

Thanks Joey! My edition of Firmware is 5.1.4f0. My LH works with that, but I am not working with an Intel G5.

Otherwise, you can email me at karl@agletproductions.com and I'll give you the tech information.

kth
February 14, 2007 12:41PM
My firmware on my Quad Core PPC is 5.2.7f1

Hey Troy... did Rudy tell you about the Avid & Digital Voodoo codec compatibility issues with the Kona Drivers? Look in your ~/Library/Quicktime folder and if you have anything that says Avid or Digital Voodoo on it, drag it to the desktop & restart. After I installed my Kona LHe, After Effects 7.0.1 Pro would crash on launch EVERYTIME until I got rid of these codecs.

I'm not givin' up on ya, Troy... I told you - hardcore troubleshooter grinning smiley

Let me know...

- Joey

February 14, 2007 01:06PM
No Digital Voodoo

More like a Voo-DON'T here...

Diodn't have either of those things in QT folder

Not sure what my firmware is only that the updater said I didn't need one... trying to find my version...

Troy Christian

AJA LHe card
February 14, 2007 01:49PM
Troy,

Menu Bar / Click on the Blue Apple / About This Mac / More Info...

Hardware & see "Hardware Overview" (it's the Boot ROM Version below).

- Joey

February 14, 2007 03:29PM
Here it is - Does this seem updated to y'all?

Boot ROM version - MP11.005C.B04

Troy Christian

AJA LHe card
February 14, 2007 03:51PM
That's a question for Rudy, Troy. You are on an Intel and Karl & I are on PPC's so your firmware numbr is way different.

February 14, 2007 04:00PM
Gave it to Rudy and he said he'd check on it...

Troy Christian

AJA LHe card
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics