HDV A24p -- anyone using the HVR-V1U?

Posted by unamalatesta 
HDV A24p -- anyone using the HVR-V1U?
February 09, 2007 11:00PM
I've been playing with an HVR-V1U. The footage was shot in the 24A mode, and I'm trying to find a successful capture method. I've checked the FCP manual, googled, searched the FAQ here, recent postings, and experiemented a bunch, but cannot seem to find a decent solution.

The footage is 1080i 24p A(dvanced). Sony doesn't seem to have much info on capturing, as it relates to NLEs, except that, der, 24pA is designed to be edited in 24p. I've brought it in 1080i sequence, 1080p one, and I've tried capturing the clip with different codecs.

Also, the in the capture window, the lighting is closer to what I saw in the studio, but once it's captured, the blacks look way, way lower. Even when making sure everything is 1440x1080, capture preset, seq, etc., everything must be rendered.

I checked to make sure the downconversion to DV wasn't selected on the camera as well.

Anyone else been playing with this thing?

Thanks.

10.4.8, FCP 5.1.2, quad 3.0
Re: HDV A24p -- anyone using the HVR-V1U?
February 10, 2007 12:23AM
This thread over at dvinfo.net might help. Read Brian Williams workflow

[www.dvinfo.net]

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 10, 2007 01:42PM
Thanks, Mike.
February 10, 2007 04:32PM
Hey glad I caught this article. How do you like the HVR V1U? I am moments away from purchasing. I am just waiting to get some good feed back on the camera from a user other than a publication who could be biased on to manufacturer. What do you think? Hows the SMEARING problem? Has it been addressed properly. I 've got the DVD that Sony sent me the footage looks great. Id like to see what you've shot.

Dave
February 10, 2007 04:52PM
In the 24pA mode, I have seen some smearing. I will post more after I've worked out the solution of getting it cleanly into FCP.

Perhaps I'll post it the piece when it's all sewn up; I think the client intends to.
February 10, 2007 07:49PM
Check out this link, it's really good. Tells you how to get it into FCP.

[www.dv.com]

Dave
February 18, 2007 12:31AM
Read the articles referred to in this thread and noticed that Adam mentions converting the HDV to DVCPRO HD codec. You can only do this if you have a capture card, correct? Otherwise, the only "poor man's" way is to go via the AIC route, as suggested on the dvinfo.net website?

I have the V1U out to test this weekend and have been shooting a variety of situations mostly in 24PAscan and also some at 30p. I'm mostly curious on how I can be able to edit natively in 23.98fps, and then ultimately be able to online a 24p HDV project to output to HDCAM.

I haven't yet tried to capture or edit yet, but reading up to prepare myself. My system isn't nearly powerful enough to do my own online, I will be going elsewhere for that, however, from what I'm reading here, at this point in time, I cannot see how it's possible to conform my sequence from the master HDV tapes if the only way I can even get my footage into my system is via the Apple Intermediate Codec (thus losing all my TC information)?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics