DVD player burner went bad on G5 anyone

Posted by Ricky 
DVD player burner went bad on G5 anyone
February 12, 2007 10:45AM
Dual 2.0 Power Mac G5
DVD burner will not read DVDs Cds or Burn DVDs seems to have gone bad.
the model is a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

So does anyone have any suggestions on a good DVD burner.
Im leaning towards external because I have a laptop I may like to use it with in the future, unless someone can tell me why having an internal one is better.

I think I will buy it from Pricewatch.com but am open to suggestions on that also.

Any suggestions on upgrading on a new DVD Burner?
Budget $99.99

Thanks.
Re: DVD player burner went bad on G5 anyone
February 12, 2007 10:56AM
Internals are cheaper and really not to hard to put in. I think the hardest part is taking the front bezel off the front of the tray. I put a Pioneer DVR 109 in my G 5 and works great it's dual layer and cost me $69.00 You could always put it in an external drive.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
February 12, 2007 02:05PM
macsales.com has DVD players for the towers. They even sell certain ones with the front bezel off. But you can pop the bezel off yourself anyways. You can find one there for under $60.

-CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
February 12, 2007 04:42PM
i had the same thing happen, and got this:

[eshop.macsales.com]

if you follow the instructions and load the little app it will work as if factory installed. it does dual layer as well.

i've had it for a few months with 0 problems. it is faster than the one you had that just croaked.
fp
February 13, 2007 10:19PM
Yep, here too. Mine died, bought the latest and greatest Pioneer one, $60 Australian, popping it in was a sinch.

External of course always an option, but I find mine gets in the way of my cameras, drives, 002 ProTools rig etc.

Depends on your firewire port usage I guess.
February 14, 2007 07:11AM
Like Dean I replaced mine with the Pioneer DVR 109 - even though my old one was fine - mainly cus the 109 is MUCH faster and I got the firmware to make it region free...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics