Video transition effects problem

Posted by montaguj 
Video transition effects problem
February 13, 2007 11:06AM
Hi All

i am a new user but learning fast. I have years of experience on Logic / pro tools etc for music production and recently became more focused on film/video etc.

i capture the entire DV tape and then sub clip based on DV start stop points.
Using thos segments in the canvas/timeline i add video effects etc etc.

I have 2 , 5 second clips that will not let me add a 1 second dissolve between them.
I erased them from the timeline and reverted to the original with the same problem.

what is the problem with these 2 clips, i am reall ystumped.

please help

James
Re: Video transition effects problem
February 13, 2007 11:13AM
Are you allowing for HANDLES? Are are you taking full clips and bumping them up against each other. If you subclip, even though the main clip has more footage on head and tail, the subclips don't see that, and consider this the end of the clip.

#1 Transitions "Insufficient Content"

Shane's Stock Answer #1:

You need to make sure that your clips have enough media (called 'handles') at the beginning of the incoming clip and at the end of the outgoing clip for the transition. For example, if you have a 1 second (30 frame) dissolve, your in and out point need to be at least 15 frames from the edge of the clip.

What you are running into is that you are marking an out point at the end of a clip then adding a cross dissolve, say 20 frames in duration. Since the dissolve is centered on the cut, it will start 10 frames before the cut, and try to go 10 frames AFTER the cut...which it can't do.

What you need to do is plan how long your dissolve will be and back-time your cut so that it works.

a full 1 second crossfade reaches 15 frames into each clip. So, if you want to change a cut to a crossfade, there has to be at least 15 additional frames of each clip.

Say you're trying to crossfade from one clip into the very first frame of a second clip. FCP cannot 'create' 15 more frames of the second clip to do a crossfade. If they're not there, you're out of luck.

FCP has to extend the end of your first clip by 1/2 of your transition length, and the beginning of your second clip by 1/2 of your transition length, so those frames need to be in your system. The nature of a crossfade is mixing two clips together.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 13, 2007 11:18AM
Did you add the FULL clips to the timeline? Transitions need a little extra footage on the end of the clip to work with, called handles. You need to set IN and OUT points for your clips so that they're shorter, then the dissolve has footage to work with.

On clip 1, the outgoing clip before the dissolve, shorten it from the end by half a second (15 frames). Then on clip 2, the incoming clip after the dissolve, shorten the beginning by 15 frames too. Now apply the 1-second transition in-between them.

February 13, 2007 03:41PM
Hi, and thanks for your response.
I'm confused
if i have 2 clips say 5 seconds long (1) and (2) created as explained and another set of 2 clips 3 and 4, both 5 seconds long.

if i drag clip 3 and 4 into the timeline and then drag and add "dissolve" it works ok
if i do it with clips 1 and 2 it doesn't work which is my quandary as i haven't done anything differently for 1 and 2 that i did for 3 and 4.

Clearly something is wrong with 1 and 2.

are you suggesting that i identify clip lengths seperately and capture those, leaving frames before and after the footage as opposed to making sub clips using dv start stop.... etc.

how do i add handles if the clip is made automatically?

all 4 clips are created the same way and i believe are getting treated the same way

so on the timeline i have (1)(2) 10 seconds duration. when i drag "dissolve" in between the clip 1 and 2 why
February 13, 2007 05:16PM
Unlikely. Did you really check that 1 and 2 are identical to 3 and 4 in terms of duration? Clips 3 and 4 may have handles outside there set In and Out points which are allowing the transition.

Also, zoom the timeline as large as possible and check to make sure the clips are actually snapped side by side. If there's a gap between your clips (small gaps can be hard to see when you're zoomed out), it will also mess up your transitions.

www.derekmok.com
February 13, 2007 08:46PM
Hi All
Thanks everyone for your help. i think i figured it out with y'all's help!!
i also found this piece helpful too (see link)

[www.fcpbook.com]

all the best and thanks!!

James
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics