export HDV to tape

Posted by Jamie Kelley 
export HDV to tape
February 13, 2007 04:16PM
I just finished editing an HDV commercial and I'm trying to export it back into the camera. (Sony VIU)

Camera recognizes the HDV in iLink. I have refreshed A/V, turned on "all frames", but when I play the timeline, the blue screen still appears in the VCR camera mode. Camera is set to pause/record.

I have stepped through this process with all the combinations I can think of, still, no go. Toggled everything on/off...no go.

If I wanted to log and capture, FCP recognizes the deck. Video playback is set to none as all the HDV seeings are ghosted.

Is there something I'm missing or does FCP not export HDV?

Jamie
Re: export HDV to tape
February 13, 2007 04:23PM
To get back to tape you have to PRINT TO VIDEO...and wait while it CONFORMS...then press record on the camera.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 13, 2007 04:37PM
Thanks Dude.

I'm doing this now. Time consuming though; looks like it'll take half an hour to conform and I'm just making a 6-minute short.

I thought when I last did this function in DV, I could just run the timeline and have it record to back into the camera.

I'm keen to read your complete review of the Matrox MSO.

Jamie
February 13, 2007 04:42PM
Did you edit in HDV? If you did then set the camera to record in HDV. Set FCP to play in HDV also.

Go through all the camera presets and put them to off off off. Only the HDV should be ON.
February 13, 2007 04:55PM
No matter what you do Vic, you aren't going to get HDV to play out to the camera like DV. It needs to conform.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 13, 2007 06:06PM
Hi Shane:

It nearly worked.

I did the print to video, waited for conform, played back. Went perfectly except for a timecode break after 30-seconds.

OK, I try this same thing again. Then, everything starts to just completely f**k up.

It's now exporting the sequence as anamorphic, that is when I can ever get the camera to record.

I see if I can log and capture...no communication. So I restart.

I have done the following at least half a dozen times:

Turn off/on FCP
Unplug/plug firewire
Replace firewire
Refresh A/V devices
Turn on/off/on external video

Change camera settings i.link convert off/on/off

VCR settings on/off/on HDV

There is no anamorphic setting in the timeline. It's 1440 to 1080. Why is it printing as anamorphic?

Since the camera recognizes the log and capture command, why does it not recognize the print to video command?

I just want to slit my wrists.

Jamie
February 13, 2007 07:13PM
NEVER plug or unplug your firewire into or from the camera with the camera turned on.

What do you mean by anamorphic? HD is 16:9, is that not what you are seeing? The pixels are not square, they are 1.33:1. That's why 1440x1080 is 16:9.
February 13, 2007 07:26PM
Did you export a self-contained movie file? Tends to help the output drastically, though HDV is an odd monster.

www.derekmok.com
February 13, 2007 07:36PM
Sorry Tim, I meant STRETCHED anamorphic ...more than 16:9. The bin does not tag the 1440 x 1080 as anamorphic.

And Derek, I'm not exporting but printing to tape. Earlier Shane suggested print to tape as the only way to transfer back from the timeline to the camera.
February 13, 2007 07:44PM
> And Derek, I'm not exporting but printing to tape.

That's not what I meant. Exporting a self-contained movie file, usually, allows you to then use that movie file as an intermediate step in the tape output. If you use your editing timeline to output, you're referencing hundreds, sometimes thousands of files during the output to tape and that can create problems. It's a method worth trying if you have glitchy outputs. However, HDV is not my specialty, so I'm not sure this method will improve things necessarily.

www.derekmok.com
February 13, 2007 07:48PM
Jamie

Trash your preferences. Go to Apple Resoources and download the White Paper "Working With High Definition and Broadcast Formats"

Follow the instructions on working with HDV.

[www.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 13, 2007 08:08PM
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that you were trying to go from your FCP timeline. I've never even tried that.

No, Derek is right. You have to do a self-contained movie and have it as an HDV file. THEN the camera will be able to record it.

As for going from timeline, well, I have no clue. It would seem highly unlikely that the camera will recognize the mix ...

Now, I know what Shane is talking about. Of course, FCP has to first conform and then maybe ... maybe the end result will be an HDV that the camera understands.

But you're trying and that's good :-)
February 13, 2007 08:26PM
Mike:

There is no doubt that you indeed are the Head Cutter. Trashing preferences solved the problem. I used FCP rescue. Sweet little program.

To filmman, derek and shane, thanks for your input. Shane is correct. Printing to tape from an HDV timeline definitely worked. I also discovered that for some glitchy reason, I had to tick "on" the "automatic start recording" box in the conform dialogue box. Video playback was set to None. Prerolled the camera, clicked on the start dialogue pop-up and it worked. Trashing prefs was the key.

Thanks to all...

Jamie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics