Correcting overexposed tape

Posted by shelleyrae 
Correcting overexposed tape
February 14, 2007 12:41PM
Hi,

One of my clients just gave me an overexposed tape to see if I could do anything to make it look better. I haven't done much work with color correction or filters yet, so I was hoping one of you could guide me to what filters and/or color correction parameters to start with to help take the curse off?

I also have Graeme Nattress Film Effects filter package if there is anything in there that would help.

Thanks.
Re: Correcting overexposed tape
February 14, 2007 12:44PM
The Nattress effects aren't as much for colour correction as to create a visual style.

Overexposure can be hairy. Try Color Corrector to target the Highlights. Lyric Media's Shadow-Highlight filter (free download) also works well to tame extreme contrast.

www.derekmok.com
February 14, 2007 01:09PM
depends on HOW over it is. if the lights are totally blown out to white, youre pretty much out of luck
February 14, 2007 01:50PM
> depends on HOW over it is. if the lights are totally blown out to white, youre pretty much out
> of luck

Even if it's that blown out, give it a try. One thing that's practically impossible is to match severely blown out footage to normal, properly exposed footage. However, you may be surprised by how much you can take down overexposed footage to reveal what had been hidden by massive highlights. I've had a big sheet of light (about 2/3 of the frame) get taken down by a heavy Color Corrector filter to reveal faces and details.

But if your shot is seriously overexposed AND fairly wide, then you're probably dead. Just try it out and see what happens.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics