Staggered playback when burning QT clips to DVD

Posted by Outdated Mac user 
Staggered playback when burning QT clips to DVD
February 18, 2007 08:56PM
I am sure there is a real simple answer to this, but I don't have it.

I have a G4. I captured short DV clips (between 30 seconds and 3 minutes each) using FCP 3.0, saved clips on 500 GB HD as Quicktime Movies (v 7.1.3), then dragged QT clips directly from HD onto Maxell DVDs and CDs. I did not save them in the FCP timeline and then export as QT movie.

Burn was successful, but when I tried to play back the QT movies from all media, the video image staggered as if there were dropped frames during the burn. The audio played perfectly, however. My HD is attached to the G4 via Firewire, so connection speed is there. What could the problem be then?
Re: Staggered playback when burning QT clips to DVD
February 18, 2007 10:22PM
Running qt files from dvds or cds can chug the bitwidth (my word) of the movies.

Your best bet is 1... to use the dvds as storage media for the movies and not as a playing device for them. Move them to your hard drive to play them...

or 2... compress them as h264 or something like that and store on the dvds to play...

But I must ask... why not create a REAL dvd with those clips? Do you have DVDStudio Pro too? Or you can use iMovie to make a dvd.

Good luck,

CaptM
February 18, 2007 10:36PM
So what you are saying is that I can save them on the DVD, load files onto another computer's HD and play the QT clips, i should be able to see them?

Thanks for your reply, very helpful.

OMU
February 18, 2007 10:47PM
Yes... what you did was use the DVD discs as a storage device and not a digital VIDEO disc... it's very hard to play uncompressed videos off the discs themselves. Will be fine loaded onto another HD.

Good luck,

CaptM
February 18, 2007 11:20PM
<<<what you did was use the DVD discs as a storage device and not a digital VIDEO disc.>>>

Exactly. You created a funny-looking very flat, slow hard drive. If you involve a DVD Authoring Program in the middle like iDVD or DVD Studio Pro, that will give you a theatrical movie DVD which will play on any movie DVD player.

Koz
February 19, 2007 12:43AM
Koz
Exactly. You created a funny-looking very flat, slow hard drive. If you involve a DVD Authoring Program in the middle like iDVD or DVD Studio Pro, that will give you a theatrical movie DVD which will play on any movie DVD player.

However, if you're simply storing this media offline for a bit, before you go back and edit it elsewhere -- you want to stick with your QT movies, and not make a DVD Video disk. Otherwise, you'll get generation loss and heartache when you try to import it back in to edit again.
February 19, 2007 01:50AM
Thanks, guys, for the input, it helped me to understand this basic issue.

Just my two cents...this forum has helped me solve tons of issues. My thanks to LAFCPUG and all the pros on this site.

OMU
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics