No sound with FCP?

Posted by stickandstring 
No sound with FCP?
February 19, 2007 02:33PM
It's been a couple years since I did an editing and fairly novice but I don't have any sound when watching clips through the camera or replaying from an old time line. The sound bar shows sound but none heard. I am hooked up to a Canon GL2 camcorder with firewire, S-plug (I think that's what is called) to TV monitor, and mini plug between separate speaker and GL2 port for sound. I've tried all the ports on GL2 but no sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Re: No sound with FCP?
February 19, 2007 06:24PM
You say you are seeing the VIDEO on the external monitor? Make sure your VIEW menu down towards the bottom has the audio following video.

Which version of FCP are you using?

Also - are you sure the GL2 has mini jack for audio OUT? Sounds like a headphone plug to me... not sure it follows to the headphones. Do you have rca outs on that camera?

Else - use the VIEW menu setting for audio to main computer speakers... might be a bit of latency in the audio - - but only a few frames (enough to mess with your head though.)

Good luck,

CaptM
February 20, 2007 03:21PM
CaptM, thank you for your response. I think I have FCP 3 - it is ~3 years old.

My GL2 has 3 miniports - 1)A/V in/out, 2) a mic jack, and 3) a headphones jack. I've tried plugging into each but no sound. I have separate speakers and plug the other end in into the larger speaker. The speaker has a separate power and volume control and I've got that on.

Not sure what you meant when you said "Make sure your VIEW menu down towards the bottom has the audio following video. "

Thanks Matt
February 21, 2007 10:52AM
I'd make sure you use the A/V in/outs and if you have to - use RCA to mini adapter to get into speakers. I use an old tuner that I can change from CD to AUX depending on if I am using the MAC sounds or the DECK sounds.

The whole VIEW menu thing...

Not sure I remember how it was in v3... but under the VIEW menu in FCP there was an option for EXTERNAL VIDEO... that should be set to ALL FRAMES and that will give you the video OUT via FW to the deck/camera. But there should be another option under there that asks where you want the audio to go... make sure it FOLLOWS VIDEO.

Might need to hunt for it.

CaptM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics