mxf video files from Pana HVX200

Posted by ClayC 
mxf video files from Pana HVX200
March 05, 2007 12:14PM
A client dropped off a drive containing .mxf video files that were shot on a Panasonic HVX200. Never seen this particular codec before. How do I get these into QT and into FCP (5.0.4.)?

Help! Got a deadline.

Clay
Re: mxf video files from Pana HVX200
March 05, 2007 12:32PM
Watch this tutorial:

[forums.creativecow.net]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 06, 2007 02:50AM
Shane,

Nice tutorial, I've watched it before and I'm used to doing it that way. In this particular situation though they gave me the contents folder on a fw drive. No lastclip.txt file. Although, I don't know if that would apply when importing from a fw disk instead of a P2 card.

Is there a tool out there that will do an .mxf to .mov conversion?

Thanks,
Clay
March 06, 2007 02:56AM
Yes. P2 Log by www.imagineproducts.com. $199 I believe.

Any reason why the Import Panasonic P2 function in FCP won't work? You don't need the LASTCLIP file to import. It just helps with spanned footage. And yes, that tutorial applies to importing from a drive, because I NEVER import from the card. I always back up to a drive, then import.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 06, 2007 05:40AM
Hi Shane,

Question do you prefer to basically transfer the P2 card files as an MXF file to your drive,
instead of downloading threw FCP converting the MXF into MOV during the process?

If so why, and what kind of benefits do you have?

My current work flow.

Shoot HVX200 to 4gig/8gig p2 cards. 95% of my martial are shot 720pn
filled card goes to Apple Laptop PowerBookG4. Card into laptop, open FCP, import Panasonic p2 directly to laptop internal HD, 4-10 min depending on card give or take. View directly on FCP instantly give card back to camera format card on HVX200 threw HVX menus once formatted, record again.
During this time I will begin the back up from Powerbook HD to external drive 1 and external drive backup 2 separate duplicate external drive.
Files are backup as mov. Files.

I am comfortable with my workflow, but Im open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.
March 06, 2007 05:59AM
>>Any reason why the Import Panasonic P2 function in FCP won't work?<<

Dunno. Using import > P2, FCP sees the video folder and the mxf files, but gives me an unkown file type error message. Also tried P2 Log, but that didn't work either with a similar error message.

They stumped me this time. I've since given the drive back to the original editor who now can't open the files any more either, nor can the pros at Arri Digital here in town who had a go at it yesterday.

Thanks for trying, though. Much appreciated.

Best,
Clay
March 06, 2007 07:19PM
Wow...sounds like something got messed up in the transfer process.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 04, 2008 06:26PM
Excellent tutorial. I loved that ambulance in the background.

We got that same thing. "Can you open these?" Except we got a network mounted folder with a bunch of extension-free files. [0014KH]

Not working......

We have exactly the machine you use in the tutorial and we have a killer 3/4TByte drive stack, so I have high hopes. "OK, guys, listen up! This is what we need to do."

Thanx again,

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics