Mac Pro Sleds

Posted by Dean 
Mac Pro Sleds
March 08, 2007 08:10PM
These look pretty cool for archiving a project and maybe sending it off to your client.
Mac Pro multiple drive sled ships

Trans International today began shipping its Pro Sled Mac Pro hard disk drive sled, offering users the ability to swap out hard drives for a Mac Pro system. Users can assign and label drives for different clients, projects, or backup purposes to avoid misplacing data or overwriting files. Once mounted on the Pro Sled, drives are cold-swappable and plug directly into the Mac Pro main logic board. "Power users need drives ready for easy exchange and replacement," said Trans International. "The Pro Sled gives you the capability of unlimited swappable drives for your Mac Pro." The device requires no power cables, and is priced at $30.
Trans INT Sleds

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Re: Mac Pro Sleds
March 09, 2007 12:34AM
Um...they're only useful to a client if that client has the capability of plugging them into their machines. If they don't have a MacPro, this is useless. That also means you can't set these up as a RAID if you are pulling out individual drives fpr transportation. Not such a good idea IMHO for a high volume Post Production shop. I'll stick with Firewire drives / Data DVD's for clients. I don't want to have to open up my machine every time I need to send a client proofs. Every time you open your machine, you risk static electric / physical damage.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 09, 2007 11:57AM
In addition to Joey's concerns, I'd have to ask what you're getting for $30 - a place to put a label? These drives have always been cold-swappable, without the need for a fancy holder. At least I'd want a little more protection for a drive I'm going to pull out and hand to somebody. According to the picture, the electronics are just as naked with this thing as without it.

Aside from all that, it's a wonderful idea smiling smiley.

Scott
March 09, 2007 12:45PM
I think labels are cool.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 09, 2007 12:59PM
im with joe!!

i dont wanna be opening my g5 to swap drives. i prefer the externals. they are easier all around.

and yeah 30 bucks for a holder!?!? hmmmm add 100 bucks and get a 160 gig smart disk whos operation will never effect the core electronics of my g5ppc.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
March 09, 2007 01:23PM
I guess it would be easier and safer to swap the Mac.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
March 10, 2007 03:49AM
I agree, labels are cool but you can label bare drives and store them in anti-static bags which cost what? fifty cents?

It could be convenient to have premounted drives in sleds, ready to shove in, pull out... but not at 30.00 each! They're worth maybe 2.50 in aluminum.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Set a multi-parameter Motion FX Keyframe with Control K !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics