Compressor reduces audio level on Dolby AC3 conversions

Posted by Tom Jackson 
Compressor reduces audio level on Dolby AC3 conversions
March 13, 2007 05:58PM
Why does the audio level of AIFF files consistently get reduced when converting to Dolby AC3 files for DVDSP authoring? When compared side by side to the original AIFF file in DVDSP levels are considerably lower and are too low in the resulting DVD. This is annoying when the AIFF files are at proper level.
Re: Compressor reduces audio level on Dolby AC3 conversions
March 13, 2007 08:01PM
I believe you're looking at the "Dialog Normalization" setting which defaults to -27 dB.

-18 to -20 is considered half acoustic level, so -30 would almost vanish.

This is a tutorial on using A-Pack, the grandpa to Compressor. I can't find anything on Compressor itself other than a DVD for sale on Ken Stone's web site.

[www.kenstone.net]

Koz
March 13, 2007 08:07PM
By the way, it does that in order to leave room for gunshots and explosions *in their original volume.* Fooling with that relationship means the actor will be talking to his mom at the volume of a Peterbilt Semi at 70 MPH on the Interstate.

Of course, if her hearing isn't quite what it was.......

Koz
March 14, 2007 12:07AM
Yeah, there it is. Turn the compression off in Pre-Processing and select -31 for Dialog Normalization (I had the numbers backwards) and see what happens. It's the same as in APack but the dialog panels are in different places.

None of this works if your original audio was damaged.......

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics