Color Correcting DV Footage

Posted by IBEJohnson 
Color Correcting DV Footage
March 18, 2007 01:39PM
OK, I've searched this forum high and low for my answers, and although I found many answers, I need clarification.

When it comes time to do my color correction, I intend on purchasing a CRT Production Monitor such as:

[www.bhphotovideo.com]
OR
[www.bhphotovideo.com]

What is the BEST way to output a video source from my Mac Pro in order to color correct on a monitor such as these? I understand that I can use my Firewire out to my AG-DVX100B and then S-video from the camera to the monitor. Is this correct? Is there any loss of quality with this method? Does this mean that I do not have to purchase a capture card such as the Decklink Pro? If I did purchase a capture card such as the Decklink, would there be any advantages?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. It should be quite clear at this point that I have no clue what I'm doing at this stage of the process. smiling smiley

And other info would help too; like, "that JVC monitor sucks, get this one instead..." or "600 lines of resolution isn't enough", etc.

Thanks! - Eric
Re: Color Correcting DV Footage
March 18, 2007 02:04PM
I understand that I can use my Firewire out to my AG-DVX100B and then S-video from the camera to the monitor.

Just like you said. Just calibrate your monitor (instructions included with monitor) and off you go.

The Sony is just fine for DV.

Michael Horton
-------------------
rjd
March 18, 2007 11:59PM
I shoot with the Canon XL-2. I capture with the Panasonic AJ-D230H DVC Pro deck via firewire. And I use that Sony monitor connected to the DVC Pro deck with S-video output. I'm very satisfied with the results. (I also have the output feed a simple television so I can compare the results on a monitor and a TV.)

It's a great size, great picture and it's 16:9 switchable (like the JVC). It doesn't have a "blue only" button (that I know of, if anyone knows different please tell me) but you can use a blue gel for that. Not to mention, I bought mine a little over a year ago and the price is alread $500 less than I paid.

Robert Faust
Faust Productions

Power Mac G5 10.4.9
Machine Model: PowerMac 7,3
2 CPU - 2.7 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory 6.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.35 GHz
Scratch Drive: 1TB
FCP 5.0.4
DVD SP 4.0.3
March 19, 2007 11:39AM
Thanks Mike!

Robert,

Thanks for your input as well. A couple questions if you don't mind: What is the "blue only" button? I'm not even sure what that is/does. The other thing that I'm having a difficult time understanding is the level of control you have from monitor to monitor. For instance, the description for the JVC says that it has dedicated buttons on the front panel for Contrast, Brightness, Chroma, Phase, etc, but neither of the descriptions (JVC or Sony) mention what controls lie within the menus. Does the Sony also have control over those particular functions, either by dedicated buttons or within a menu?

My biggest concern is getting something that has all of the necessary functions to properly calibrate it. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure what those functions are. Obviously you're pleased with the Sony, so I assume it's sufficient.

Thanks again!

Eric
March 19, 2007 04:02PM
To learn about monitor calibration, try searching on the word "pluge". Even the FCP manual I believe has a pretty good lay person's procedure for this. Not suggesting that word as the most important part, just the most searchable.
rjd
March 19, 2007 05:18PM
Hey Eric,

You'll certainly get a more thorough explanation elsewhere, but briefly:

When you use a vectorscope and/or waveform monitor it can show you how bright and dark your white and black levels are (typically this is done with SMPTE color bars passing through). The "blue only" selection allow you to adjust your hue and chroma values (color and saturation) by removing all other colors and matching certain portions of the color bars to each other.

If you don't have a "blue only" option (sometimes it's actually grey) built into the monitor, you can hold a blue gel in front of the screen and use that to adjust.

As far as the Sony goes, these adjustment are made with a menu. I would prefer to have the controls right on the exterior of the monitor (because I'm lazy), but I guess that makes the price go up.

Like I said, I've been very pleased with the Sony. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it all over again.

Robert Faust
Faust Productions

Power Mac G5 10.4.9
Machine Model: PowerMac 7,3
2 CPU - 2.7 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory 6.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.35 GHz
Scratch Drive: 1TB
FCP 5.0.4
DVD SP 4.0.3
March 19, 2007 08:46PM
I've just added a 'How to calibrate your broadcast monitor' thread the othe FAQ, for those who want it.

Calibration guide

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics