SANmp

Posted by Rui Barros 
SANmp
March 26, 2007 06:28AM
Hi,

A Post-Production House where i do some freelance work is planning to buy a SAN. They are not sure about wich system, but a resseller company has send them a proposal about the SANmp solution, globalSAN X-16.
Please, can someone share the pros and cons about this SANmp, and most important, does this system shares the same volume for two or more machines.
The goal is to have a SAN like Avid Unity but to work with FCP.

Thanks

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
Re: SANmp
March 26, 2007 07:46AM
Rui,

I've used quite a few SANS from SanMP to Xsan. You need to work out if you want a file or volume based SAN

SanMP is a volume based san, which means if another station digitises a clip, you will not see it until you dismount and remount their volume. This normally means quitting FCP too. A big pain in the backside as the 'syncronise' feature is not recommended with video files.

I'd wait until NAB as Leopard screen shots have already shown iSCSI connectivity - so you could build a shared storage system with GigE switches.

Peter

Peter Wiggins.com
March 26, 2007 09:14AM
Call Nate at the DR Group. He knows this system, and other SAN systems, like the back of his hand.

www.thedrgroup.com

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 26, 2007 10:02AM
It's a bird!? No...
It's a plane!? No...
It's Super LAFCPUG!

Thank you very much for your answers.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
March 26, 2007 05:46PM
Well, if we are into recommending companies, try Root6, a lot nearer smiling smiley

Root6

Speak to Rupert Watson or Graeme McGuiness

Peter

peterwiggins.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics