Exporting QT for web

Posted by tduncan 
Exporting QT for web
March 26, 2007 01:42PM
I am having a heck of a time exporting a clip for the web. Primarily because the 16:9 image keeps coming out 4:3 and distorted or cropped. My timeline is DVCPRO-HD 1080i60 and I want to create a clip approx 320 x 270 (or should it be 180?) I have tried both sizes and also selected "preserve aspect ration using..." and here I have tried none, crop, and letterbox but I still don't come up with a letterbox image that is 16:9.

What are the secret settings for a 16:9 ratio image using Quicktime conversion?

Thanks,
td
Re: Exporting QT for web
March 26, 2007 02:11PM
> I am having a heck of a time exporting a clip for the web. Primarily because the 16:9 image
> keeps coming out 4:3 and distorted or cropped. My timeline is DVCPRO-HD 1080i60 and I
> want to create a clip approx 320 x 270 (or should it be 180?) I have tried both sizes and also
> selected "preserve aspect ration using..." and here I have tried none, crop, and letterbox but
> I still don't come up with a letterbox image that is 16:9.

From what I'm reading, you don't want a letterboxed image. You want a web file which is in 16:9 ratio without black bars.

Just create a sequence with Aspect Ratio set to "Custom" and Frame Size set to 320x270 pixels. Drop the DVCPro HD sequence (or movie file) into that, resize and export. 320x270 isn't 16:9, though, so you'd lose part of your image on the sides.

If you did want letterbox bars in the movie file, then set the frame size to 320x240.

www.derekmok.com
March 26, 2007 03:30PM
The problem I have is there are a lot of other parameters that require the quicktime conversion like fps, compression, audio settings etc. to get optimum web performance.

Isn't there a simple way to get a streaming web file using the quicktime conversion to get 16:9?

thanks,td
March 26, 2007 03:52PM
Export using square pixels 320x180 (don't preserve aspect ratio or CCIR pixel aspect ratios) using whatever FPS and compression settings you require.

Web video should always be made using square pixels - so just calculate the horizontal & vertical based on multiples of the aspect ratio eg: 4:3 or 16:9

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 26, 2007 04:04PM
> The problem I have is there are a lot of other parameters that require the quicktime
> conversion like fps, compression, audio settings etc. to get optimum web performance.

Makes no difference. Use the sequence settings to get the aspect ratio you want (and get rid of the black bars) and use Export - Using QuickTime Conversion to change the frame rate, audio settings etc.

I think Compressor also has Crop functions, so you could do it there.

www.derekmok.com
March 26, 2007 04:08PM
I think one of the things that's driving you nutty is that you're assuming the original DVCPro show was 16:9 or 4:3. It's not. Internally, it's some other aspect ratio, so your export has to convert twice.

I'm disappointed. You missed asking the question that every third person asks. "How to I post perfect HiDef on the web, live streaming, with no bytes, and visible on PCs and Macs."

Koz
March 26, 2007 09:32PM
Are you working in 1920x1080 or 1440x1080?

I just export my normal timeline via quicktime conversion, then set the frame size via the 'custom' setting in the 'size' area.

More explanation here : Compressing for the web

So, if it's 1920x1080, it would come down to (divided by 5) 384 x 216. Probably. My maths has known to be wobbly. The aspect should be taken care of by the frame size setting. No need to preserve aspect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics