Another DVX100 Post (interlacing issues)

Posted by ChrisMoriarty 
Another DVX100 Post (interlacing issues)
March 31, 2007 08:19AM
DVX100A - Alll footage shot in 24P standard (not 24PA)
All footage captured in 29.97 DV/DVCPRO
All footage looks fine in viewer

When viewed in a 29.97 timeline:
and advancing frame by frame, 1st frame is clean, 2nd frame is clean. 3rd frame is clean
4th frame shows interlacing, 5th frame shows interlacing 6th frame is clean and so on.
Applied the deinterlacing filter (which clears the issue) but this softens the image.

FCP 5.1.2
3 gigs ram
Mac Pro
Re: Another DVX100 Post (interlacing issues)
March 31, 2007 09:11AM
You've got 24p normal footage captured at 29.97fps. Of course you'll have interlaced frames -- 2:3 pulldown has been added in-camera. There is no need to do anything to it if you need to go back out to tape; the "film cadence" is already there. If you feel the need to edit at 23.98fps, then use Cinema Tools to reverse-telecine the clips. However, this would be pointless if you need a master on a 29.97fps source (ie. tape) at the end.

De-Interlace never does the same job as shooting 24p or 24pA and then removing pulldown. You're destroying half of the image, and it never looks right. If it did, then people would be using it instead of proper 24p simulators like the Nattress package.

www.derekmok.com
March 31, 2007 11:31AM
So what you're telling him, Derek, is to ignore the added frames because the movie will look better when viewed on TV monitors (interlaced and at 29.97 fps)?
March 31, 2007 12:11PM
That is what he is telling him. The footage looks fine when played.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 01, 2007 07:21AM
Thank you, yes I do not have a NTSC monitor to view. Relying on the Dell.
But what I don't understand is that it is not apparent in the viewer. Only in the sequence.
April 01, 2007 09:39AM
When it comes to cadence, neither the Viewer nor the Canvas is reliable. If you're only using a computer monitor, you're doomed to not find out the full extent of the problem until you view it on a TV. Unless you're only preparing media for the web.

Also, if the footage has frame-rate problems, De-Interlace is more likely to make it worse, not better. My guess is that you do have regular 24p (not Advanced) footage and you're not used to seeing it look that way. I had the same reaction the first time I saw 24p DV and I thought there was something wrong with the footage. A professional post house confirmed that the footage was fine -- I just had to get used to the look.

www.derekmok.com
April 18, 2007 07:35PM
So, to summarize, shooting at 24p Normal on the DVX will result in a 2:3:2:3 pattern during editing in FCP. Furthermore, it is impossible to create the look of say 24pN (from a frame rate standpoint, not resolution or color sampling ratio) captured by say an HVX.

In other words, is it safe to say that 24p Normal footage from a DVX will never look like true 24p? Is it impossible to create a 24p DVD from 24p Normal footage that is void of the "interlaced" aesthetic that the 2:3:2:3 pattern yields?

Can someone elaborate?

Thanks,

Andy O'Neil
April 18, 2007 09:52PM
De-interlace doesn't do a proper job of removing 2:3 pulldown. But you can reverse-telecine the clips and edit in 23.98fps if you so choose. However, if you're going back out to SD tape, there is no point in doing so -- your final product will have to end up on 29.97fps, so you're going to have to add those pulldown frames back anyway.

www.derekmok.com
April 18, 2007 10:04PM
what if your final output is DVD?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics