Can I use FCP with Unity Drives?

Posted by dvprt72 
Can I use FCP with Unity Drives?
April 02, 2007 05:08PM
I work at a post house in Santa Monica. We have 4 rooms that are all connected by Avid Unity. We want to start converting each room to FCP over a few months. Can I use the Fiber Optic Avid Unity Drives for storage like a regular Hard Drive with Final Cut? I know that we probably won't be able to access projects in each room like the Avid Unity could.
Re: Can I use FCP with Unity Drives?
April 02, 2007 06:05PM
Hey,

I should know this one. We have 4-3/4 Avids in the house--barring any rentals at the last minute.

The "3/4" Avid is really a Final Cut station because one of the feature productions was an FCP house. I don't know if it can see the Unity or not. I'll need to ask...

I do know we have had to juggle Unity licenses as we changed Avids around. I'm almost 100% sure that if you don't have a license, you don't see the Unity. It's really the Unity Manager you're licensing. Without that, the Unity turns into a plain pile of drives--and not a very talented pile, either.

I'm also almost 100% sure you don't get a split. You either have a Unity or you don't. Someone is going to correct me--possibly our Hardware Manager.

Koz
April 02, 2007 06:24PM
I cross posted this on the Avid-L2 and got this response:

There's no reason the drives couldn't be converted to shared storage
through a utility program like SanMP. Volume-level locking is easy.
You wouldn't get the full function that a Unity would provide, but it
would save your investment in hardware, for what it's worth.

John Svetlik

My opinion is that if you're switching to FCP, you should switch to a SAN that supports it like Apple's X-SAN.

Mark
April 03, 2007 06:16PM
I got the answer. The reason Avid 4-3/4 (the Mac) isn't on the Unity is that it doesn't have a fiber-channel network card--and no good way to add one.

There is the license issue, too, but I think that was secondary.

Koz
April 03, 2007 09:22PM
No way to add one?

It's only around $500 bucks... and the fibre cable.

In the networked workflow, there is no free lunch. If you want connectivity, you're gonna have to pony up for it.

Mark
April 04, 2007 09:42AM
<<<No way to add one? >>>

Not to an iMac. This machine is the runt of the litter. I think the G5s kick sand in its face when we're not looking.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics