DV from Panasonic HVX200 with interlacing problems

Posted by chrisrash 
DV from Panasonic HVX200 with interlacing problems
April 04, 2007 02:10PM
The project that I'm working on was mostly shot on a Sony HDV camera, and all that footage is fine. We've been cutting that in an HDV 1080i60 sequence in FCP and there are no problems with that stuff. Unfortunately, the other camera man occasionally used his Panasonic HVX and he somehow didn't know that it doesn't record HDV to the miniDV tape but rather regular DV. So we have a mix of about 75% HDV and 25% DV footage.

The DV stuff works in the timeline, but some of the clips have a really bad interlacing problem. Is there some kind of algorithm that Panasonic uses that doesn't "take kindly" to being captured on a Sony deck?

Let me know if I need to provide any more information or if there are other questions that I need to ask. Thanks
Re: DV from Panasonic HVX200 with interlacing problems
April 04, 2007 02:39PM
It sounds like it could be a field dominance issue as hdv is upper and dv is lower field dominant. This may help.

[docs.info.apple.com]
April 04, 2007 02:40PM
well, first of all the HVX doesnt shoot HDV at all. it shoots dvcproHD. (which kicks the living snot out of HDV - but thats another discussion)

but im imagining the problem you have may be that when you stretch the 480i dv from the hvx up to 1080i its just not holding up. and some scenes will show it worse than others...

keep in mind also that youre taking the lowest res of SD DV up to the highest res of HD.

have you tried deinterlacing the DV footage?
April 04, 2007 05:27PM
According to the guy I talked to last night, the issue is that there's some kind of field blending going on where, at some point, the two fields that are improperly interlaced are getting converted to progressive so that interlacing becomes part of each frame.

I guess what I need to do, after I try recapturing the DV stuff, is bring the stuff into a DV sequence and export it with de-interlaceing and some kind of plug-in to split the fields (which is what my guy told me but I didn't quite understand). Then I can bring it back into FCP.

Does that clear things up a bit or does it only make things more complicated?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics