making smaller video files

Posted by claylyons 
making smaller video files
April 10, 2007 05:35AM
MacBook Pro 2.33, OSX 10.4.9, FCP 5.1.4

I have a project where I have captured entire 60 minute tapes( HDV). I was trying to Time Remap a 20s clip from one of these tapes and had difficulty using the green keyframe line, because the source file was so long there was no way to zoom in on just the 20s I was working with. I then made a self contained movie [Export- QuickTime Movie...-Make Movie Self-Contained ], and imported the new file.
I am wondering if there is a simpler way to remove the excess( large media handles) from this clip for ease of doing motion keyframing.

Thanks,

Clay
Re: making smaller video files
April 10, 2007 05:40AM
Export the shot you want to time remap. Reimport it and apply TR to it. That will prevent extraneous frames from being pulled into the speed change and give you reasonable control over the material.
April 10, 2007 06:18AM
Duh,

I forgot to make the clips into subclips. This made the green keyframe line much more manageable.

-Clay
April 10, 2007 09:17AM
Sigh.

Try not capturing a whole 60-minute tape as one clip next time. Really not a good approach. If you really hate logging in detail, then log 15-minute chunks without watching the footage. The problem you've described is exactly why hour-long clips are frowned upon.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics