Audio: MP3, AIFF vs. WAV, OMF for ProTools

Posted by Outdated Mac user 
Audio: MP3, AIFF vs. WAV, OMF for ProTools
April 10, 2007 11:05PM
FCP experts:

Three audio questions. First one: I want to incorporate songs from a CD into a project. The songs are stored as MP3, and import into FCP as MP3. I was told to NEVER use compressed files, esp. MP3. Should I convert these songs into AIFF using Pro Tools before sticking into FCP?

Second one: is it preferable to use AIFF or WAV files in my FCP project? Will quality vary?

Third: I want to take audio files from FCP into Pro Tools. I was told that I should export to OMF then bring into Pro Tools, but in order to do this, I need an OMF converter. How does this work?

OMU
Re: Audio: MP3, AIFF vs. WAV, OMF for ProTools
April 11, 2007 12:33AM
> Three audio questions. First one: I want to incorporate songs from a CD into a project. The
> songs are stored as MP3, and import into FCP as MP3. I was told to NEVER use compressed
> files, esp. MP3. Should I convert these songs into AIFF using Pro Tools before sticking into
> FCP?

This is not a great way to go. OK if it's temp, but if these files are going to form the basis for the OMFs or track exports for the final mix, then you should go back to the CDs and convert the CD tracks to at least 48kHz 16-bit stereo AIFF or WAV files. If you convert the MP3s, you will bypass Final Cut Pro's inability to playback MP3s, but your quality will be stuck at MP3 quality.

> Second one: is it preferable to use AIFF or WAV files in my FCP project? Will quality vary?

Both will work.

> Third: I want to take audio files from FCP into Pro Tools. I was told that I should export to
> OMF then bring into Pro Tools, but in order to do this, I need an OMF converter. How does
> this work?

FCP can export ProTools-compatible OMFs just fine. It just can't check the resulting OMF file(s). There is an application available online that can re-expand an OMF into a sound session, but its name escapes me right now.

www.derekmok.com
April 11, 2007 04:02AM
if you are still on OS9 for Pro Tools, you may still be able to download the (now free) app OMF Tool.

google it, or do a search a digidesign.

that's the ONLY free OMF to PT converter i know of.

cheers,
nick
April 11, 2007 01:56PM
Thanks, Nick and Derek

OMU
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics