Any thoughts on the new Adobe Premiere for Mac

Posted by ayrmedia 
Any thoughts on the new Adobe Premiere for Mac
April 14, 2007 11:27PM
Just curious what you guys are saying about the new Premiere CS3 coming out. Sure wish FCP would export that way....especially the Flash export to the web with the DVD menuing.
Re: Any thoughts on the new Adobe Premiere for Mac
April 15, 2007 01:21AM
Flash export?

What do you mean by DVD menuing?
April 15, 2007 04:21AM
This is the message on the premier Pro CS3 product page.

"* For Macintosh users, Adobe OnLocation requires Boot Camp and Windows (purchased separately) or a separate Windows based computer. "
April 15, 2007 05:08AM
i always liked premiere but i switched to media100 back in like 1996. premiere, up until about 4 years ago still did some lower end things way the hell better than FCP. it seemed that FCP was trying to be the "avid killer" right out of the gate. i still keep an old copy of premiere around just in case... FCP is great, but i think its still taking some fundamental misses as far as workflow and interface goes. sadly premiere went the "avid route" interface wise about 3 years ago... so im not sure what diff there will be now.

all i know is that adobe OWNS about 70% of the rest of my workflow (ill, ps and ae. not to mention the macromedia buy). so if they brought an interesting revis of premier to the mac - i'd listen...

add to that, the fact that adobes DVD software is WAY less troublesome than DVDspro...

the thing about the FCP suite (and you can SOOOO tell my the variety of interfaces) is that they basically bought other softwares, slightly "applefied" it and released it. hell FCP still has tell-tale traces of macromedia in it!
April 15, 2007 05:39AM
I switched to FCP about a year ago after years with Prem Pro and am generally very happy to have done so.
A couple of things i miss about Premiere are:
The trim edit window. I loved using this tool and am still struggling with the FCP version, which never seems to work half as well(probably operator error i admit).
Dealing with/or without audio in the timeline. I really liked the way you could send a clip from the viewer to the timeline with or without the audio. Sure FCP can do this but its nowhere near as simple. With its patches and its Auto select buttons and clicking on the A1 buttons to disconnect them and so on, FCP seems to make a big fuss about making simple choices.
Nonetheless the Pros outweigh the cons.
A couple of PP horrors include:
Adobe media encoder - A window that i've learned to hate with unrivalled passion.
Colour correctors - What a joy FCP is after this crappy tool.
I'd rather spend my days collecting soap bars from the floor of a prison shower than deal with these ghaslty tools.
April 15, 2007 07:36AM
Dom
The trim edit window. I loved using this tool and am still struggling with the FCP version, which never seems to work half as well(probably operator error i admit).

i'd be curious to hear more about this
is it what goes on in the window itself that doesn't work for you,
or getting there?

Dom
Dealing with/or without audio in the timeline. I really liked the way you could send a clip from the viewer to the timeline with or without the audio. Sure FCP can do this but its nowhere near as simple. With its patches and its Auto select buttons and clicking on the A1 buttons to disconnect them and so on, FCP seems to make a big fuss about making simple choices.

ok, forget about autoselect.
viewer to timeline is track targeting.
keyboard shortcuts for those are:
F6+ number sets V target track
Shift + F6 disengages V track

F7/F8 + number sets A1/A2 target track
Shift + F7/F8 disengaes A1/A2 tracks.

if you don't have an FCP keyboard, i;d recommend you label your F keys as they aren't exactly logical, or easy to hit without looking hard for them

ALTERNATIVELY
locking your target tracks is possibly simpler

F4 + number locks/unlocks V track
Shft + F4 locks/unlocks all V tracks

F5 + number locks/unlocks A track
Shft + F5 locks/unlocks all A tracks.

what is it in PP that is easier?

cheers,
nick
April 15, 2007 12:34PM
This is part of Encore: One Click from Encore to Flash. Take a look at the feature tour here: [www.adobe.com]

What is does is creates a Flash version of what would be your DVD menu and function for the web.

It looks pretty cool.
April 15, 2007 12:38PM
OnLocation is something different, but has a lot of possiblities
April 15, 2007 02:07PM
but does it export flash?
April 15, 2007 04:43PM
I used P6.5 and P Pro - for 3 horrible years -
Constant crashing - never printed out a show the same way twice-
software is jam packed full of bugs that never get fixed--

Take a look at PP users web site -- not many happy folks -

I did like the Speed Tool -Very cool and actually worked -
Titling was nice and very easy to use ---
and the option to import video to timeline
with or with out audio was a good feature-

FCP is Much better
April 15, 2007 08:15PM
Yes it does export to Flash and more.
April 15, 2007 09:47PM
PPro2 is nothing like 6.5 and there is a huge difference between PPro and PPro2 [much more than there appears to be between FCP5x and 6].

I use both an really like both, however I prefer using the other creative suite tools, AE7, Illustrator, Photoshop and Encore are incredibly well integrated. That integration goes well beyond dynamic link. There are also a ton of third party tools that greatly increases the value of the Adobe suite.

The things that annoy me about FCP is a fairly brain dead import [log and capture] tool, weak media management, rigid sequence settings and this total reliance on the (IMHO) really crappy DVCProHD codec.

All of these concerns are supposedly addressed in version 6, hopefully they work. Anyone planning to upgrade right away?
April 15, 2007 10:29PM
I have used both and in my personal opinion FCP is much better than Premiere.

They made us use it at work once while we were testing new editing software.
(The owner of my previous workplace prefers PC)

I would have quit in 2 seconds if he stuck to Premiere and I would never look back.
Would also rather pick up soap bars on death row wearing a school uniform.
April 16, 2007 01:09AM
Thanks for answering my question, Scott, even though it was on the fringe of this discussion. It was something stated in the first post however.

Flash is crucial to the web and the web is the only game in town.
April 16, 2007 05:59PM
im personally going to upgrade my adobe suite as soon as it hits the shelves. and i'll give the premiere workflow a couple days of trial.
April 17, 2007 06:01AM
To Nick Meyers,
Thanks for taking the time to point out these things out Nick. I've just done a tutorial concerning the trim edit window from Michael Wohl's Peachpitt book "Advanced Editing Techniques" and think i've got a handle on it now. Previously i was not using the JKL keys for this job and didn't find the tool very helpful. In PP you can ripple or roll the whole window with a mouse which i found a pretty user friendly way of getting the job done. Once i get used to using the JKL's with dynamic checked i think it will be at least as good.
I guess the same goes as far as using the F7&8 keys to target audio tracks. I got a FCP keyboard recently but have not taken advantage of this feature yet. I'll make a habit of it in the future.
Cheers
Dom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics